Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Styling shop page with categories

This support ticket is created 2 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Helena Gwyn 2 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

I want to style my woocommerce shop page which is the homepage of my website.
Currently I want to show my product categories with their name and thumbnail.
I want to add a styled container around the archive.
How do I this? Is this possible in the block editor?

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Currently, that is not possible with the blocks editor. This is based on two limitations:
- Taxonomy views are not supported by Toolset Blocks yet. They can still be created using the legacy editor.
- Archive templates are meant to display posts, and can't display the taxonomies(product categories) in lists.

To elaborate more on this subject, it is worth to mention that some themes, such as Storefront, support this case. In a similar case, a toolset archive MUST not be used for the shop page.

It is also worth to mention the "Product Categories List Block" from WooCommerce Blocks https://woocommerce.com/products/woocommerce-gutenberg-products-block/

Honestly, I don't think Toolset Blocks can help for displaying Product categories in the shop page. It is better suited to have a filterable shop page(by taxonomies, custom fields, and even relationships), customize their display and the display of a product's single page.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any further questions.

From what I understand I should build my own homepage with (woocommerce)blocks and map my shoppage (which is in essence an archive of products) to another url. If I want to style the productsarchive with a surrounding container, I have to use the legacy editor. Furthermore Toolset allows me to add custom search and filtering to the productsarchive and add custom fields to the products itself.

Currently I'm using Astra as a theme. Will have a look at Storefront as well.

Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.