Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Sort view relative to a field in the Content Template

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a View that displays a list of posts. I would like to order the list by some criteria within the posts.

Solution: Use the Ordering panel sidebar of the main View settings when you select the top-level View block in the block editor to change the sort order criteria. You can choose a post date criteria or a custom field criteria, and set primary and secondary sorting options for the View.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-a-view/#change-the-main-view-settings

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sonniG 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have a the content page where there are lots of entries. I want to be able to show the content in an order as per a field like a date. If it's an event for example, the post might have been created at a different date.

In this respect (page link below), I have testimonials. I would like to show them relative to to the date submitted or posted.

hidden link

ordering-settings.png

Hello, it sounds like you want to sort a View of results based on some criteria within the posts, like the post date or a custom field value. When editing a View in the Block Editor, you can adjust the View's sort order by selecting the top-level View block. When you do that, an "Ordering Settings" panel will appear in the sidebar, and you can choose the sorting criteria for the View. I'm attaching a screenshot here showing that panel in the sidebar when a top-level View is selected in the Block Editor. By default, post date is the usual sorting criteria, but you could choose a custom field here instead, if you'd prefer to sort on that criteria.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood what you want to achieve, and I can take a closer look.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.