Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Sort custom type list by distance to location

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by dimitriH 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author
incorrect-order.jpg

You are joking, right?
I'm getting kind of fed up with your standardized responses, tbh.
I'll recap this ticket, so you can see why I'm getting frustrated.

First, you start by saying "Toolset does not have a built-in Geo Location functionality".
After I show you it does exist, you state: "I see, you are talking about the Geo-Location in the context of the Map."
You should have known I was referring to maps, since the link I provided is obviously making use of Toolset Maps.
How else did you think we build the map/markers using Toolset?

After logging on to our website, you state "Unfortunately, the issue is deeper and it relates to the Google API itself" and provide me with a link to your errdata: https://toolset.com/errata/search-by-distance-may-produce-wrong-results/.
The link you provide handles on Google API passing wrong coordinates for addresses in Alaska.
Since all map markers are correct and the distance is calculalted correctly, this is completely irrelevant to our issue.

After telling you the provided info is irrelevant, you state "Thank you for the correction. I mixed up with the other issue. I checked and as this is happening only on your installation we are unable to find the reason behind it."
What other issue are you talking about?

To show you the issue is happening on a clean install as well, I set up an installation with only WordPress and your Toolset plugins. I replicated the issue, but you still won't believe me and ask me to set up the issue on a clean sandbox install provided by your dev team.
"Would you please try to log in here and see if you can replicate the same issue?
hidden link"

I did just that. I replicated the issue on your sandbox and let you know the issue is happening there as well.
But you go on to state: "We checked the clean installation we do see the issue. We also checked the same on our clean installation and the issue is not there."
You even tell me the sandbox I set up is working fine, while it obviously isn't.
"Problem: hidden link
Correct: hidden link"
You go on by stating: "This will be investigated by our development team. But as the issue is not possible to replicate on our clean installation it might take some time."
Seriously? I already replicated the issue on your clean install.

I've added screens for both your sandbox and our clean install to attachments.

If you are still unwilling to take a decent look at our issues, I would like another supporter to be assigned to this ticket.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

This is Nigel, Toolset Support Team Leader.

I'm sorry you haven't had the best support experience on this thread: Christopher is new to the team and evidently still has gaps in his knowledge. (He's an excellent supporter in WPML, and I trust he will eventually be able to offer the same here in Toolset.)

Regarding this particular issue, I've taken a close look at the sandbox site where you recreated the issue.

There is a quite specific problem that I've identified which is quite unusual (you are the 3rd person to experience the problem in a year or more), and I've added a copy of this site to the existing internal ticket we have about the problem and pressed the developers to work on it soon.

(The issue itself occurs with the SQL query used to retrieve the posts ordered by distance; the calculated distance—calculated by MySQL itself—returns null in these cases, and it is difficult to determine the specific reasons why.)

The developers have all the details. I'll mark this thread as escalated, and update you again once we have some feedback from them.

Nigel
Supporter

A quick update: the issue has been fixed by the developers and is awaiting release. We have updates pending for all the plugins which are going through testing by our systems team, but it shouldn't be too much longer before they are published.

Keep an eye out for the updates, though we will update you again after they are published.

Thanks for your patience.

Great!
Thanks for the update, Nigel.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi there

I wanted to let you know that we published plugin updates today that include a fix for this issue.

If the updates do not show up on your plugin installer page (click the registered link beneath the plugin name to go to the custom installer page) click the the Check for Updates button to update the list.

Or you can download the latest versions from your accounts page: https://toolset.com/account/downloads

Hi Nigel,
We've updated all plugins to their latest versions, but are still facing the same issue.
Could you point me to your documentation on legacy views and maps, so we can check if we are not missing anything obvious?

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Hi there,

Here is the legacy documentation for Maps for your reference:

https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/maps-plugin/

Thank you.

Nigel
Supporter

I have set up a test site on our sandbox server (where you were previously able to demonstrate the problem) with the updated plugins, and it is working correctly.

We don't still have access to the sandbox you set up. Can I ask you to check the new sandbox, and look if there is anything different from your own set up that might account for the difference?

You can access the back end via hidden link

You'll note that there is one View which queries the Locations post type (which has an Address field), and which includes a distance filter, with the results ordered by distance.

If you visit the page containing the View on the front end you can try entering a search location (e.g. "Wicklow"), which should return the results in the correct order.

hidden link

If you want to test using your own location rather than searching from a named location, try adding some location posts that make sense for where you are.

If you see that everything works as expected, but it doesn't work on your site (after making any updates that seem pertinent), then let us know and we'll set up a private reply to get credentials for a site demonstrating the problem from you. (Ideally a staging site.)

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.