Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Sitemap – two levels. Parent level connecting to Sub-category Page with icons

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to have a nested view to list out their taxonomies and their child terms below each parent term

Solution:

You can use nested Views.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/

For example, if you have 3 layers of terms:
GrandParent
- Parent
-- Child

Each has several posts added to it, which you can display in a separate list, that you can reach starting on a Page where only "GrandParent" posts are shown and links to "Parent" and "Child".

To do that:
- create a View that queries your Taxonomy and set a filter as in:
"Select taxonomy terms whose parent is None."
- Add some post information to the loop, or any other data you want to display
- Add the View to any page and see in the front end only data about grand parent terms
- Now add a View which again queries the Taxonomy, this time has a Query filter as:
"Parent is the taxonomy selected by the parent Taxonomy View"
- Again complete the Loop with the information you want to display
- Now insert this View to the loop of the View you created first (and inserted to the page)
- Reload that page and see, that now you have a list of Grandparent Terms and a list of Parent Terms.
- Repeat these steps for the lowest "Child" terms and insert the View to the second created View.

This can be repeated for basically as many times you want.

It allows you to query the data depending on the currently looped content, and link to whatever related page/post/taxonomy term.

You would need to add there HTML and CSS yourself to group and style it like you show, but with the Toolset Views Loop Wizard you should already be able to cut a good part of that as well.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Author
categories concept image.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Create a Sitemap with images associated with Parent categories following attached example. Click Parent to go to sub-category. From sub-category to sub-sub category - 3rd level for businesses.
Is there any documentation that you are following?
Not anything I have found
Is there a similar example that we can see?
The example provides a visual of Parent to sub-category. I will need these page to go to a secondary page listing each Sub-Category with icon visible listing all sub-sub-categories. Expecting more than 10,000 businesses.
What is the link to your site? hidden link

You can use nested Views.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/

For example, if you have 3 layers of terms:
GrandParent
- Parent
-- Child

Each has several posts added to it, which you can display in a separate list, that you can reach starting on a Page where only "GrandParent" posts are shown and links to "Parent" and "Child".

To do that:
- create a View that queries your Taxonomy and set a filter as in:
"Select taxonomy terms whose parent is None."
- Add some post information to the loop, or any other data you want to display
- Add the View to any page and see in the front end only data about grand parent terms
- Now add a View which again queries the Taxonomy, this time has a Query filter as:
"Parent is the taxonomy selected by the parent Taxonomy View"
- Again complete the Loop with the information you want to display
- Now insert this View to the loop of the View you created first (and inserted to the page)
- Reload that page and see, that now you have a list of Grandparent Terms and a list of Parent Terms.
- Repeat these steps for the lowest "Child" terms and insert the View to the second created View.

This can be repeated for basically as many times you want.

It allows you to query the data depending on the currently looped content, and link to whatever related page/post/taxonomy term.

You would need to add there HTML and CSS yourself to group and style it like you show, but with the Toolset Views Loop Wizard you should already be able to cut a good part of that as well.

Being SO new to Toolset, I need a visual. When I opened the ticket, I was asked if I wanted a video example and I filled out my information. The requested video is for TODAY - Monday at 10 am...but I never received confirmation or response.

Being SO new to Toolset, I need a visual. When I opened the ticket, I was asked if I wanted a video example and I filled out my information. The requested video is for TODAY - Monday at 10 am...but I never received confirmation or response.

When you send an email, who is it from. I never received any response from last Friday's ticket. I waited and checked back today and saw that Beda did respond...but only in the ticket. How do I correct this?

Will I have the video call today that I requested last week? I requested another video call but the response wait time is 24 hours...

Can you explain whether I must keep Google Hangouts open?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Dianne,

I would need to organize this video call with my superiors however would you like for me to record a tutorial video on how to do this ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank you for your response!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dianne,

I noticed that you marked this ticket as resolved.

Were you able to understand the documentation that Beda sent ?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Not without some help. Even though this is a non-coding needed tool...it requires skill to navigate all the moving parts and coding experience . I hired a consultant to help me create the Sitemap.

My experience is quite extensive in building websites since the late 90's. I started using Divi in 2006. So I am not a novice.

After a week using Toolset, I am becoming reacquainted with coding practices we used more than 15 years ago. I am far from proficient.

Video's help me more than anything. A video allows me to go at my own pace while comprehending all the different ways Toolset works together. Thankfully there are consultants who can help. But I learn through repetition.

Do you have a video available for building the site map? I sent the documentation to the consultant who then designed this for me.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dianne,

Here are the videos, hopefully it will be enough to assist. If there are any issues or questions.

Part 1 : hidden link

Part 2: hidden link

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Shane, just requested access using dianne@wewebdesigner.com to view both of the videos.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dianne,

I've granted Access please let me know if you're able to see them.

Thanks,
Shane

I will review today. Videos are the perfect response! Thank you!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Dianne,

Awesome please let me know if there is anything that you are unsure about and i'll be happy to assist further.

Thanks,
Shane

Shawn,

For a few days now, I have been trying to recreate all you did on these two videos. Still have a question.

When and how did you create List Child Terms View?

This is where I am stuck. How did you create this view?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.