Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Setting up a basic or even an advanced search

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the customer wanted some assistance with setting up a basic parametric search.

Solution:

We actually have a very comprehensive documentation that should be able to guide you through this process.

Please have a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/

This support ticket is created 8 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.51 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by BarryS9673 8 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
search3.PNG
search2.PNG
search1.PNG

I am trying to: Setup a search

Perhaps you could help me or even explain what i should do or even what i am doing wrong.

hidden link

I have setup a basic search and when I type asearch i do not get results, naturally I am doing somehting wrong. 🙂

1. I have setup a view
2. Called it Search and added some values
3. Added it to the home page

Yet I am not getting results

search4a.PNG
search4.PNG

As soon as I add some values to Loop Output, the page auto generates all the search results before I even apply a search

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Barry,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

I just tested your search and it works from what I tried. The search was able to find the titles of posts matching what I had entered.

Secondly regarding showing the results when you first visit the page.

This is actually normal as the view is suppose to display all the possible results before a filter is being applied.

To get the page to the page to start with a blank result you will need to have the results page being separate from the search page.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
Shane

Ahhh! Thank you that makes sense, so it is more like a filter rather than a search the way i have it setup.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Barry,

Yes that is correct.

You can separate them when you are adding your parametric search to your page you will be presented with the option.

Please let me know if you are able to see this.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I will give it a test, just busy working locally on the site, but as soon as i export the design etc to the live domain i will test it. I may re-open this thread when I tackle it again.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Barry,

You may mark this as resolved and if you any other issue arises then you can open a new ticket 🙂

I'm happy I was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank You Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.