Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Set excerpt to display text before

This support ticket is created 8 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by deanL 8 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I'm trying to create a view that includes [wpv-post-excerpt]. I'm asked to set the number of characters or words, but all I want is for it to show whatever that is before WordPress's <!--more--> tag. Is it possible?

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

The "Excerpt" and the <!--more--> tag are not the same by WordPress terms.

From here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt

The manual WordPress excerpt (our ShortCode is just the same) is often confused with the:
- automatic excerpt or with
- the teaser
(the part of a post that appears on the front page when you use the More tag).

While both are related to the manual excerpt, they are different from it.

The relationship between the three is this:

- When a post has no manual excerpt and the post template uses the the_excerpt() template tag,
WordPress generates an excerpt automatically by selecting the first 55 words of the post.

- When the post template uses the the_content() template tag, WordPress will look for the More tag and create a teaser from the content that precedes the More tag.

Currently you would need either to output the Full excerpt with our ShortCode or a part of it, by limiting the output with our ShortCode parameters.

Please don't hesitate to inform me in case the issue persists

Thank you for your patience.

Thank you Beda for explaining the difference between excerpt and teaser.

All my posts will definitely have the <!--more--> tag and some text before it. Is there something I can do within Views UI to make it show all text before the <!--more--> tag?

Actually, the only way to show the same content as comes pre-teaser, is to copy paste that to your WordPress excerpt and then display the excerpt with no limits in word or character.

The ShortCode [wpv-post-excerpt] does display the Excerpt using the WordPress approach of when no limits are set and not excerpt is saved.

You can limit it by words or character, wether or not a excerpt is saved.

This applies on Views as well in Content Templates.

To Output a pre-teaser content only, you would need a Custom ShortCode to generate your Custom output on Views or Content templates.

Please let me know if you need further infos about this.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks Beda, I understand this better now. I have decided to stick to the option of limiting the words since it gives me better control and will not let excessive words break the layout.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.