Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Serve my own archive-products.php template

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Riccardo Strobbia 7 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hello there,

Please can you help. I have the Woocommerce Views plugin enabled. It has a file in plugins/woocommerce-views/templates/archive-products.php

I want to include this file in my child theme to be used instead of the one that comes with the plugin but don't know where this should be placed?

Can you help?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Paul

When using Views and WooCommerce together via the WooCommerce Views plugin there are just 2 options for which archive template file is used, which are set in the Toolset > WooCommerce Views settings page.

You can use the default WooCommerce template file, or the Views template file, for when you want to customise WooCommerce archive pages.

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/getting-started-woocommerce-views/

This doesn't work like the normal WordPress Template Hierarchy, so you can't copy the file to a child theme and edit it.

But the archive file template does very little—purposefully. It simply determines whether or not you are using Layouts and whether or not you have set up a custom WordPress archive for products using Views. In either of these cases it will output your custom Layout or your custom archive View, i.e. all the customisation happens within Toolset, either in the custom archive Loop Output section, or in a custom Layout.

You should be able to customise your archive output within Toolset accordingly without the need to edit the template file.

Is there something you are trying to achieve that you cannot?

Many thanks for replying. I think I can solve this by doing as you suggest.

However, may I suggest that to allow people absolute control, would it be a good idea to have another selection available which would allow the user to link to their own template file?

Many thanks

Paul

Dear Paul,

the feature you are proposing makes a lot of sense in fact, I submitted it to our development team to review it and, if accepted, design a solution to implement it.

Thanks a lot for your collaboration, best regards
Riccardo

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.