Skip Navigation

[Resolved] "Search by distance" box de-selecting itself.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by brendonD 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

I gave access to my website in another thread (please make my next message private if you need me to give you access again, here) but to replicate my issue I would like you to log in to my website, visit the search page and:

- Type any number into the "distance" text box,
- Start typing any location into the 'Enter a Location' box,
- Roughly 2 seconds after you begin typing into the location box; for seemingly no reason the text box is deselected and whatever you were typing is deleted.

I'd like it to NOT deselect itself. It's quite an unnecessary and annoying inconvenience to be halfway through typing and, for seemingly no reason, have to re-select the text box and start typing over again. It's only a 'quality of life' change, I know, but the location-based search is the central pillar of what my website is used for.

It's a search engine website where location-based search is the core function; it inexcusable to have the core function be annoying for my customers to deal with for every single search.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting Toolset support.

The credentials are automatically removed after a thread is resolved or closed. I am setting your next reply to be private so you can share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **
And please share the direct URL to the search page.

In the meantime, it seems like a compatibility issue, please check if this issue appears when:
- Only Toolset plugins are activated. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with another plugin.
- The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty-Twenty. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
If the problem disappears, start activating one at a time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for the credentials, I confirm they working for me. However, I was not able to reproduce the issue. You can see my test on this video, the text does not get selected and removed. hidden link

Can you record a short screencast that may display this issue? I usually use Screencastify or Loom for that reason.

With respect, you DID reproduce the issue.

- At the 6 second mark you tab twice down to the location box.
- At the 7-8 second mark it de-selected the text box.
- Then 3-4 seconds of nothingness as it appears you're confused about why you can't type into the location box.
- Then it appears you tried to tab, again, because the "Terms of use" on the bottom-right of the map gets highlighted. (at the 11 second mark)
- So you have to grab the mouse and click on the location box to finally begin typing.

THAT is the issue.

You should have been able to start typing after pressing tab twice but you had to REselect the text box to type "Sydney" again.

But, let's say, someone types "100" as you did. Then, instead of pressing tab twice, they click on the location and start typing. Depending on how fast they are at typing, they might get 2-6 characters in and THEN it deletes what was written. And, I assume, this would happen a LOT more on mobile/tablet where there IS no tab button and people tend to be pretty quick with typing. - See video for what I mean: - hidden link

It may seem inconsequential but it IS something that could easily make people only do 1-4 searches before being fed up with it happening. Whereas if it's NOT happening they could happily sit there and go through dozens of searches.
- Which is the difference between someone investing themselves in the website and becoming an advocate of ours,
- Or going "Ehh. It's okay" and never recommending it to anyone else.

It is THE core feature of the entire website. So I would like it fixed.

Thank you.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback, and my apologies for missing it firsthand. I am not sure to clearly define this bug, but I can see that an AJAX call is made when we change the distance value or the distance unit, even though the view is configured to trigger the search upon clicking on the submit button. And this seems what overwrites the values on the distance center field and the text search because the response of the AJAX call is applied.

I created a new installation with the latest versions(this week's release) and the issue was not reproduced there. You can log into my test site with this URL hidden link
And you can check the view here hidden link

I still suspect a compatibility issue with a 3rd party component(theme/plugins). Can you prepare a staging site so we can test in a minimal setup? Or, can I take a copy of your website and analyze it locally?

Yeah, as I said above; I think it's the 'Ajax refresh' thing, too. And, yeah, it is difficult to define.

I updated the Toolset plugins to the latest versions but the issue is still there.

I'm more than happy for you to take a copy of my website and analyze it locally, please. If I muck with it I'll probably just make it worse.

Jamal
Supporter

I was able to fix the issue by deactivating the "Show only filter options that would produce results" option on the view. Check this screenshot hidden link
This option is not useful for your use case, because you are not using a filter with options(dropdown, radios, checkboxes).

I am also escalating this to our 2nd Tier for further analysis. I'll keep you updated about it as soon as we have something to share.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

And yes, please let me know how it goes with the escalation.

Thank you, again.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.