Skip Navigation

[Resolved] role_name_to_return for 1 to 1 relationship

This support ticket is created 3 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 3 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
Edit-Specials-Angebote-Relationships-‹-hunde-urlaub-net-—-WordPress.png

Hi,
I have a one to one relationship between post a and post b. I have an id for post a and I want to retrieve the related post. Looking at the api docs, for toolset_get_related_post my api call should look like

toolset_get_related_posts(post_id_a,relationship_slug, {parent || child})

I'm at loss to choose between parent and child! Shouldn't it be optional anyway (documentation says no)?

In the example for the docs it suggests

toolset_get_related_post( $book_id, array( 'writer', 'book' ) );

This example doesn't match the the arguments offered for the function.

There should be a parent, but I how do I determine which it is?

I attach a useful image of the relationship.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

You wrote:
I have a one to one relationship between post a and post b. I have an id for post a and I want to retrieve the related post. Looking at the api docs, for toolset_get_related_post my api call should look like

toolset_get_related_posts(post_id_a,relationship_slug, {parent || child})
==>
But the function should be used is: toolset_get_related_post()

Now, later you said, that you are using the function: toolset_get_related_post():

toolset_get_related_post( $book_id, array( 'writer', 'book' ) );

but you should adjust the relationship array array( 'writer', 'book' ) to your post-relationship slug.

So, if you pass the child ID and without specifying the third argument parent/child, the default is parent, for example:

$child_id = 999;
$parent_id = toolset_get_related_post($child_id,'cpt-promoter-artist');

The above function will return the parent ID.

To get the child ID, you will require to pass the parent ID.

$parent_id = 222;
$child_id = toolset_get_related_post($parent_id,'cpt-promoter-artist','child');

The above example will return the child ID.

In your case, as per the screenshot you shared:
- https://toolset.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/1938641-Edit_Specials_Angebote_Relationships_hunde_urlaub_net_WordPress.png

You should consider the Specials post type as parent and Special Angebote will be the child post type.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.