Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Reset Password Process Not Working

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user's reset password isn't working correctly.

Solution:

To setup the reset password page please follow the instructions EXACTLY as the documentation depicts it.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/building-the-my-account-page/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.26 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dee_DeeA2948 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Lost Password Page Content.PNG
After_Submitting_Email_Address.png
Before_Submitting_Email.png

Tell us what you are trying to do? Successfully setup the lost password > reset password process.
Note: It functions properly, but from a user perspective, it looks odd.

The Problem: After I submit my email on the "Lost Password page", ALL of the instructions remain with an added line about "check your email for the confirmation link". It's really confusing that it still has the OLD instruction (Please enter your username...) and the NEW instruction (Check your email for the confirmation link) on the same page.

Is there any documentation that you are following? Yes, https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/building-the-my-account-page/

View attached images relate to this process:
Image #1 Before Submit
Image #2 After Submit
Lost Password Page Content

Thank you for your help!

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

It seems from the screenshot there is something that is causing the shortcode to break. Could send me a screenshot of the area that you put the Lost Password page shortcode ?

Thanks,
Shane

Lost Password Page Content.PNG

Hi Shane. Thank you for your reply. The shortcode was included in the initial ticket. I attached it again for ease of reference.
I followed the Toolset documentation here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/building-the-my-account-page/
I created a page called "Lost Password Page". I added instructional text and added the form below. EXACTLY how the documentation states it. Thank you for helping me find out where I'm going wrong.

Shane
Supporter

Hello,

Yes I saw that screenshot, however i'm seeing the shortcode itself highlighted within a text field which shouldn't be the case.

I would like to see a screenshot of it on the backend just to ensure that the shortcode was added to the page correctly. It should not be displaying like this.

What should be displayed is the form to change the password.

Thanks,
Shane

lost-password-page.png

Hi Shane. Sorry, the image I added is entered in Elementor, that's why it looks like this. I can 100% assure you that the shortcode is NOT the issue. Because the form displays on the frontend correctly. When I submit my email, I receive the reset password link and the rest functions as expected. I feel like you're missing my concern. Think about like this:
In the toolset documentation, It says:
1. Create the Lost password page (Step 1 in the previous image)
This can be a regular WordPress page that includes the Forgot password form shortcode.
[wpv-forgot-password-form reset_password_url=’hidden link;

**DONE: I've added this shortcode onto my "Lost Password Page". It displays the form perfectly and submits perfectly. When I submit the form, the form still displays with the standardized WordPress instruction "Check your email for the confirmation link". BEAU-TIFUL. That's exactly what I want.

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Please see the image that I've attached (sourced from Toolset document).
It has text added above the shortcode (as I've done as well.) When I submit the form, the text instruction is still there. After submitting the form, the page still has "Did you forget your password? Please enter your username or email..." PLUS the confirmation message that auto populates after completeing the form. PLUS the form. Can you tell me, based on this picture -- How would wordpress automatically know to remove the instruction text on this page and the form after submission? The instruction text is not conditional. Neither is the form.

(What I mean by the instruction text is the text that I manually typed onto the page: "Did you forget your password? Please enter your username or email...")

There is NO rule that says, if the form is submitted, stop displaying the form. What piece am I missing here? (Reference the image from the toolset documentation)

Prior to submitting the page the url is: hidden link
It contains everything I need (text instruction and form)

After submitting the form, the page url changes to: hidden link
It contains everything included before (text instruction and form) plus the auto populated confirmation text.

What it should look like: Before submitting the email address, it must display the manually typed text instruction (to enter email) and form (This is working as expected)
After submitting the manually typed text instruction (to enter email) and form should no longer appear. Only the Auto populated WordPress text should appear "Check your email for the confirmation link.

I sincerely apologize for the lengthy message. I wanted to be clear about where I'm having difficulty. Thank you for your tremendous patience and support.

Shane
Supporter

Hello,

Yes I believe I understand the issue now. Thank you for the clarity.

How I know this works from my testing is that Lost Password page should remain as is.

So once the user enters their email this page will remain as is and they will get the message "Check your email for the confirmation link" above the email field. Now the only way the page will redirect is if you use the redirect option for the shortcode. The parameter to use is "redirect_url". So an example of this would be.

[wpv-forgot-password-form redirect_url="www.example.com" reset_password_url='www.example.com/reset-password']

This code will redirect the user to hidden link after the user sends the reset password link. The reset_password_url attribute will send the user the link to the reset password form in their emails along with all the other encoded information that is needed.

So if you want to change the page after the user enters their email then you will use the attribute redirect_url="www.example.com". With this you have the option of having your own dedicated confirmation page.

Please let me know if i was able to answer accurately your question.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.