Skip Navigation

[Resolved] replace images in gallery

This support ticket is created 2 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

On hidden link i use the gallery. As you can see I use the caption for more information which you can see on hover. But... there is no way to replace an image without losing the gallery or the caption. If I want to add an image to the gallery in the blockeditor I have only the new image, the rest is gone. If I replace the image in the gallery-option the captions are gone. Since the captions are styled and have a break inside. I need to make them in the blockeditor because in the gallery editor that is not possible. But now I have to replace one of the images and I can't do it without risking to start all over again. Please help me out...

with kind regards

Karin

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello Karin and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

To better assist you with this issue, I would like to get access to your website and see how the page and content template are built.
Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Sorry Jamal, replied on the email... I have trouble making a staging site. Hope I get this fix today so can have a look there. Since a mailing for the live site is going out today the site must stay online. I come back to you with credentials of this staging as soon as I get this done

Can you please send me a private link again?

Jamal
Supporter

Hello and my apologies for the late reply, but I do not work on Thursdays and Fridays as you may check on my profile page https://toolset.com/forums/users/jamal-b/

Your next reply will be private.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you Karin, I totally agree to work on a staging site during debugging before the production site.

Unfortunately, the website does not allow me to login, and the affected page returns a 404 error. Check this screenshot for 3 windows hidden link

Please check from your side and update the credentials(login URL, user, password) in your last or next replies.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you! Now, I was able to login. However, I am missing something about the gallery, Especially how you generate the link inside the "on-hover" section. Can you elaborate on it a bit further?

From what I have gathered so far, the gallery is built manually. I mean that the images are chosen manually. I believe that when you try to add another image, you choose to reset the gallery instead of adding another image. Check this short record where I make sure to add additional images instead of resetting the gallery with new images. hidden link

During my recording, I noticed that the existing images get a new caption(on-hover) that is the same for all images, this somehow let me ask again, can you explain how have you built the gallery in the first place?

Add the gallery and add more images in gutenbergblock.png
Make a caption in the gutenberg editor block.png

What I did was adding the Toolset gallery block in the page. Than click the link add images (image add the gallery....) - selected the images in the medialibrary and created the gallery. And insert the gallery in the page. After that I edited the captions in the gutenberg editor.
In this way I can add a link to the caption (see image - make a caption).
But..... in this way there is a link.. add more images.. but then the total gallery is gone... and if I add images in the WordPress gallery.. the captions are screwed up. So somewhere is a bug or something. The layout of the caption is gone if I go to the gallery editor or.. all the images are gone if I add another image via the link in the gutenburg block.
For me the way I build this gallery was logic.. just pressed the button in the block. When you add the block to the page that is the first thing you see... Add more images... select them, insert the gallery and add captions.. no strange things.. it looks very logic.... but it breaks when you have to add or change images 🙁

Jamal
Supporter

I understand your point of view and the frustration you might have while using the gallery block and adding images manually. But, IMHO, it goes against the spirit of Toolset of building dynamic websites.

Personally, I would create a repeatable field group for pages that holds the image, the caption and the price. Then, instead of using a gallery block, create a view to display the images, and the associated information. You can put the image as a background for a container block, and inside of it, use a heading block to display the title, and a Fields&Text block to generate the second line with the price and their link.

Check this article: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.