Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Remove sidebar from archive with Toolset and Divi

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Remove the Sidebar of Divi from an archive created by Toolset. Is this possible?

Solution:
Toolset integrates only with the options offered by the theme. So if the theme offers such option then it will be included in the integrated options you can use for each archive with Divi and Toolset, when creating such archives in Toolset > WordPress Archives.

However, the Divi theme seems to offer only a left or right sidebar, not a "no sidebar" option, hence it is not possible to remove that sidebar with the Theme options.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
cannot add other content to serach archive.jpg
option no sidebar missing in archive search.jpg
get rid of sidebar in archive search.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do? Remove Sidebar from archive search here hidden link

Is there any documentation that you are following? none found

Is there a similar example that we can see? on this page it works: hidden link

What is the link to your site? selk.stadeli.com

The main search on my site (1st link) is a view on a page and I can change the template in divi to no sidebar
The archive search (2nd link) is not a page and I cannot remove the sidebar
I can also not add other content, like a title and footer, divider, etc. I have on my other pages.

I'm sure this is easy, could you pls. give me a hint?

You seem to use Divi Theme, according the HTML of your site.
Several Themes integrate with Toolset the way you use, and the Documentations to those Themes can be found here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/
Not for Divi, however, that is to be found here: https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/

With Divi, several of the options won't work as expected, please see these Errata:
https://toolset.com/errata/content-template-theme-settings-are-not-working-when-using-a-divi-child-theme/
https://toolset.com/errata/the-post-title-theme-setting-in-content-templates-is-not-working-for-the-divi-theme/
https://toolset.com/errata/the-full-width-option-from-divi-is-not-applied-to-posts-that-use-a-given-content-template-when-created-with-cred/

However, the missing setting is likely not a BUG, either Divi simply doesn't offer a setting like that for those archives, or, it added it after the JSON integration file was created - hence a new feature in Divi since the addition of the integration.

But also, you use a Child Theme and hence, none of the settings will work, even if available, as seen in above errata.

Can you let me know why you expect the mentioned setting there?

I am also not sure what you mean by "I can also not add other content, like a title and footer, divider, etc. I have on my other pages."
What content do you mean? The setting you show, does only offer a few settings of Divi, that can be used on templates, not to insert things.

For designing a template with Divi, you should use the Divi Builder on Content Templates like explained here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/

Note, even adding the options you mention to be missing, currently would not solve the issue that they will not work properly with Divi Child Themes.

Hi Beda,

Thanks for the links. All I'm trying to do is to have a search page on a custom post type (hidden link) where I'm able to modify the page the same way it works for the regular posts ( hidden link). I don't care if it's called WordPress archive or not. TOOLSET told me that "there is no archive page asociated with this post type" and "forced" me to create one. There may be an easier way to do this???

For the regular post search page I created a View > the view took me to create a content template > edit with Divi > Insert View in the middle of a page, add content on top and bottom of it, remove sidebar > Problem solved.

Is there a reason that for the CPT this process should be different? I don't know why Toolset took me down the "WordPress Archive" route which seems to be much more restrictive...

Am I taking the wrong approach?

I did not pursue removing the sidebar from the wp archive page, rather I followed the same approach as I did with the regular post type view:

For the regular post search page I created a View > the view took me to create a content template > edit with Divi > Insert View in the middle of a page, add content on top and bottom of it, remove sidebar > Problem solved.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-01 um 14.40.23.png

I can clarify the additional doubts you outlined in the previous messages.

1. TOOLSET told me that "there is no archive page asociated with this post type" and "forced" me to create one. There may be an easier way to do this???

It did probably do that in your WordPress Dashboard > Toolset (the Toolset Dashboard), right? These are not mandatory actions listed there, it just lets you know that this Post Type has no archive. You can create one, if the Post Type supports it.

Usually with Toolset this is done in Toolset > Archives.
Some Themes, include settings that you can use when using Layouts (Toolset Layouts) on those archives, for example.
These settings are the ones that are generally known as the "theme settings" that are integrated with Toolset.
Some of them are not working, as the links show - specially for Divi.

2. For the regular post search page I created a View > the view took me to create a content template > edit with Divi > Insert View in the middle of a page, add content on top and bottom of it, remove sidebar > Problem solved.

This is a single post, or a page, they act differently than archives.
A search as you create with Views will create a search list that you can put anywhere you want.

An archive is a template, that can only live on that one particular URL.
A View can live anywhere you put it.

3. I see that you now created a View, which does not necessarily substitute an archive.

It depends here if you want an archive or not.
You can read more about the usage of archives here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/what-archives-are-and-why-they-are-so-important/

Now, I tested this with Divi, and when you create an archive in Toolset > WordPress Archives for a post Type, then Divi offers a few settings.
I do see the same as you show me on the screenshot on your first report.

Keep in mind that even so, this might not work, since you use a child theme, as said, this will then break the support for those integrated settings:
https://toolset.com/errata/content-template-theme-settings-are-not-working-when-using-a-divi-child-theme/

Now, when I test the settings for the layout you show above (Layout Settings > Layout) I get offered the 2 expected left and right sidebar, + the Theme settings default.

These settings come from Divi, you can find them as well here:
hidden link

As you can see, there is no other option but left and right sidebar.
Toolset can hence not add any other option as well, because it only reads what the Theme offers as such, in those options.

Please let me know if you need more details related to this.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.