Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Repeating field groups in CRED forms

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The Types 3.0 beta includes repeating field groups, but the CRED beta doesn't support them.

Solution:
This will be added soon, although it doesn't make the cut for the initial release, but is a priority feature that should be included soon after.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi there,

I believe I read recently that the following feature is either now possible or coming soon, and hope you can update me on it.

What we need to do is the following:

We have a post type called "Author profiles" in which authors list information about themselves (bio, social profiles, their photo, etc. And they also are able to list their books. They need to be able to enter the book title, book description, book cover image and a link to the book on Amazon for each book. The idea is to have this as a recurring field so they can keep adding as many books as they require.

This should all be done from the front end with a CRED form.

Is this now possible with Toolset? Or will it be soon?

Many thanks for your time, as always.

Very best wishes,
Andrew.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Andrew

A much-improved version to handle this on the front-end is coming with the new post relationship updates.

If you want to see what it looks like on the back-end check the video in this post and possibly download the betas of Types and Views and try them for yourself: https://toolset.com/2017/12/types-and-views-betas-with-many-to-many-relationships/

The same kind of UI for repeating field groups will become available in CRED. There should be an initial beta of CRED working with post relationships around the end of the month, though I'm not sure if this UI update will be included. It will be added, but I can't say for sure when.

In the meantime the way to implement something like this is to create a parent-child post relationship, where the child post is effectively a container for the custom fields which will be repeated. You make a CRED form to add child posts which includes all of the fields. You effectively need to re-visit/re-load the form each time you want to add a new child post with a group of custom fields. The workflow is somewhat cumbersome, which is why it is being updated.

The current set-up is documented here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-groups-of-repeating-fields-using-fields-tables/

Hey Nigel,

Many thanks for your response.

Do you have an approximate timescale for when this might be available (the new solution) on the front end with Cred?

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Andrew

I just checked in with the developers and they say that the initial CRED release is focusing on support for post relationships, repeating field groups will come "later". It will come, because it is being requested, but after the initial work.

So in the meantime you can either use the parent-child relationship method I described above, or let your users add content from the backend using the betas for Types and Views.

Hi there,

Can you tell me whether repeating fields in CRED is available yet?

Many thanks for your time,
Andrew.

Nigel
Supporter

Not yet. We are days away from publishing Release Candidates for the major plugin updates relating to this and post relationships. QA testing should take a couple of weeks before the final versions are published.

Work will then begin on some features that didn't make the cut for the initial production versions, including support for repeating field groups in Toolset Forms.

So we are still some way off having that available.

Thanks for the fast response.

This is a real pain, but at the same time I appreciate your development and also the fact Guternberg will have added to your workload.

I guess I could create A set of fields which display conditionally. So I have the following fields:

• Book title
• Book blurb
• Book cover image
• TICK if you would like to add another book

...rinse and repeat up to a the maximum of ten books we allow on the site.

That should work, yes?

And then I can conditionally display the fields on the front end via a php template file?

Thanks again for your time,
Andrew.

Nigel
Supporter

If I understand what you are proposing then you would actually need separate fields for each possible book, something like

- Book 1 title
- Book 1 blurb
- Book 1 cover

- tick if you would like to add book 2

- Book 2 title
- Book 2 blurb
- Book 2 cover

- tick if you would like to add book3 etc...

That's not a very efficient solution. Although it is somewhat cumbersome I would create a child post type to act as a container for each book that held each of the fields, as I referred to before: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-groups-of-repeating-fields-using-fields-tables/

To add such repeating fields from the front end you need to create a child post link from the parent page, and the users could use that link for each book they wanted to add.

As I said, it is somewhat cumbersome, but is your best current option IMO.

If you have problems setting that up, could you open a new ticket? You are welcome to assign it to me.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.