Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Read more link on Exerpts not showing when there is no body text

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.12 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Jim 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Jim

I have created a view that shows exerpts of posts.
But some posts only have an image or video and then the exerpt does not show the 'Read more' button.

Is there a way to always show the Read more button no matter how little text there is in the post?

The excerpt is produced by WordPress from the Post Body unless you provide an excerpt manually.
If you have no post content, you can add the Excerpt manually and then Toolset ShortCode will use that instead

Does this help?

Jim

Not sure exactly what you mean by adding the exerpt manually...
I use the Toolset shortcode [wpv-post-excerpt length="22" count="word"] in my view.

And ofcourse I can add a read more button to my view manualy, but then when the exerpt adds one there are two.

So is it possible to control with the shortcode to or always show the read more button or never, so I can add it.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jim,

With the [wpv-post-excerpt length="22" count="word"] shortcode you can just add the more: attribute to add the read more.

Example
[wpv-post-excerpt length="22" count="word" more:"Read More"]

For mroe information on this shortcode see the documentation below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/views-shortcodes/#vf-153377

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

Hi Shane, thanks but that is not the question.

The problem is that the shortcode does not display the "Read more" button when there is no text in the post.
Please read above.

Thnx
Jim

Jim

So: I need the "Read more" button on every exerpt, even if there is no text.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jim,

In this case you should insert it manually then. This is because your [wpv-post-excerpt length="22" count="word"] will use the post body instead if there is no excerpt explicitly defined as Beda had mentioned.

When a more parameter isn't defined by the shortcode then it defaults to just "..."

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

Hi Shane, yes but then I have two 'read more' buttons (most of the time)... right?

I am sorry but Is my question so difficult to understand?

Is it possible to output an exerpt to;
- always show the read more button
- or never; that way I can add it manually without the button showing up twice when there is text in the post body

Or any other solution that achioefs the same result.

I hope this is more clear?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jim,

You wont have multiple read more buttons if you don't provide the "more" attribute to the shortcode.

However in a direct response to your question. No it is not possible to have this.

You mentioned this previously "The problem is that the shortcode does not display the "Read more" button when there is no text in the post."

In a case like this not sure why you would want to have a read more button rather linking it directly with the post title.

However you can make use of our conditional code to check if the post has content.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/conditional-html-output-in-views/using-custom-functions-in-conditions/#checking-for-empty-post-content

This way you can switch between your manual display and the auto display.

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

Well, the reason I would like to link to such posts is that they display an image of video. So there is content, just no text.

And I was not using the more attribute, only [wpv-post-excerpt length="22" count="word"], but it does display a read more button.

But now I understand that there isn't supposed to be a RM button by default! Ah.

Well then my theme is adding the button and that explains the confusion.

Hi, Shane is out today for a national holiday and will return tomorrow to continue assisting you.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jim,

Is there any other questions on this that I can clarify for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

I found that my theme was indeed adding the Read More buttons to the excerpts.
That created the whole confusion and not understanding eachother.

Thnx

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.