Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Quality of Dutch translation

This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

y.S

Hi,

not sure the translation of your software is done by yourself or if it is reading string from WordPress sources, but just wanted you to know that after buying the lifetime version of Toolset software, I am kind of disappointed by the quality of the Dutch translation. It doesn't match up with the quatlity of your software. Which is kind of weird for a company that develops the most used WordPress translation plugin out there.

From time to time I have to switch my WP default language to English just to understand what a sentence means.

A few examples:
the verb "store" is translated to the noun "store", which results in a very weird sentence. The occurance is where we are asked which value to store in the database.
The word "for/to" is translated to "om", which is correct, but somehow a "b" got put in front of this, turning it into "bom" which means "bomb".

There are many more.

Regards

Thank you for this feedback.

WordPress has a mechanism that works like below described:
- if a Plugin or Theme provide MO/PO files (generally, if it is localized) and WordPress has the exact matching strings in it's translations, it will provide it
- if not, then the Plugin or Theme must either provide the translation or eventually point to 3rd party software to use the localized strings and translate them.

We send our strings to a professional Company for translation.
Of course, technical language is often different than the commonly spoken language and often, translated sentences make no sense. Or worse, Constants get translated mistakenly. (Like %%PAGE%% to %%SEITE%%)

Now, those mistakes should not happen, but it's unavoidable. It seems, we need to review the work of the Dutch Translators in particular.

I will forward this to the responsible Colleagues.

What you could help me greatly with, is a set of screenshots where you show me the wrong strings (in Dutch).
Please highlight them, or let me know how the exact wording should be.

I will make sure this gets straightened ASAP.

Thank you very much for the collaboration!

y.S
userform.JPG
postform.JPG

Hi,
it would take up too much of my time to go through all the plugins and screens, but I will add them to this thread when I stumble upon an error. Maybe other Dutch users can add to this thread too.

I will give you the 'bomb' text to start with.
In this text the mentioned phrases for the buttons to click, do not match up with the actual text on those buttons either.

This is great, thank you so much.

Yes, I hope other Dutch Speaking users will post their findings here too!

I forwarded the particular issue and also asked for a review of the Dutch translations.

Please let me know when you want to share more!

Thank you.

y.S
ToolSettings-custom-content.JPG

The word "Gecachde" should be "Gecachete" (source:hidden link) and "afbeeldiingen" should be "afbeeldingen" (no double i).
After these changes it still looks like a google-translated sentence.

Better translation would be:
Afbeeldingen ouder dan ... uur, uit cache verwijderen.
or
Verwijder afbeeldingen die ouder zijn dan ... uur, uit cache.

y.S
Access-custom-roles.JPG

In this Access screen, 'Custom Roles' has been translated to 'Custom functions'.
Translating the word 'Custom' to 'Aangepast' is already kind of a mistake.
'Aangepast' is generally used when referring to 'adjusted'.

In my opinion it would be better to translate 'Custom Roles' to 'Custom Rollen'

The phrase 'Dan geef hen rechten' should be 'Ken daarna rechten toe'

y.S
posttype-parent-child.JPG

With this section I don't even know where to begin. It is wrong in many ways.
The Dutch text says this section is to define a relation between entries of the same type (marked in red).
The word "eement" is supposed to be "element" I guess.

The text should be:
Berichtrelatie (Ouder/Kind) (or Postrelatie (Ouder/Kind) )
De Ouder/Kind relatie verbindt berichten van verschillende berichttypes. In het bewerkscherm van de Ouder worden de gegevens van de Kinderen in een tabel getoond. Die gegevens kunnen in dit scherm ook worden aangepast. In het scherm van het Kind kan een Ouder worden geselecteerd. Op de website kunt u een lijst met Kinderen of gegevens van de Ouder laten zien. Documentatie Ouder/Kind relatie

"Kinder-berichttypes"
Should be
"Kind-berichttypes"

"Selecteer welk berichttypes Ouders van dit type zijn."
Should be
"Geef aan welke berichttypes Ouder van het huidige berichttype zijn."

"Selecteer welke berichttypes Kinderen van dit type zijn."
Should be
"Geef aan welke berichttypes Kind van het huidige berichttype zijn."

Thanks, I have reported all issues and they will be resolved in future releases, although I see that the Dutch translation is in process of a full review internally, hence this might take a little longer than the imminent Many To Many Release.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.