Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Problem after moving WordPress install to root directory

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: After moving my site's WordPress installation to the root directory, my site key no longer works and I see an error message that the Toolset plugins cannot connect to Toolset.com. In the installer support page, I see that the site key does not match the current site URL.

Solution: Delete the old site key from @https://toolset.com/account/sites and generate a new registration key. Unregister the Toolset software and then re-register with the new key.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rudolphv 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Toolset support.jpg
Toolset support 0.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do? I originally installed WordPress (as a novice!) in a seperate directory. It turned out the Elementor page builder did NOT like that at all and on advice from their helpdesk I moved the site to the root directory. I had installed Toolset before the move but I only started working with it a few days after the move. I did run into problems that might be caused by this issue so I will stop working with Toolset until it is solved

Is there any documentation that you are following? I saw a message on the plug in page to contact the Toolset helpdesk to resolve the communication issue the Toolset software now has, see screenshots

Is there a similar example that we can see? Nope

What is the link to your site? Was hidden link is NOW hidden link

Hope you can help, would not like have to buy a new licence.... I might run into the issue again in the future when I will replace my existing website by the ridgetopresources one that is now under contruction.

Yell if you need access to the site and I will submit username/password

Kind regards

Ruud

Hi, it looks like the site key was originally generated for the site URL including the /wordpress directory, so the keys don't match up exactly. That is why you're seeing the error in wp-admin. No need to purchase a new license - you can resolve this by creating a new site key for the proper URL. Delete the site key you already created in https://toolset.com/account/sites. To prevent problems with spelling errors and typos, it's best not to create the new key just yet. Go back to your site, go to wp-admin > Plugins > Add New, and click the Commercial tab. Scroll down to the Toolset installer panel. If you have not yet unregistered the plugin, click the link in the top right corner to unregister Toolset from this site. The page should reload. Click the link "Register Toolset", then click "Get a key for this site", which will generate the key automatically to bypass any potential spelling or typo problems. Copy the new key, then paste it in the Site Key field back in your wp-admin area. Click "Register", and that should reconnect the site.

You'll follow the same process any time you move the site to a new URL or modify the location of the WordPress directory. Note that this error does not mean you will have problems using Toolset or that the site will stop working as expected. Registration gives you access to automatic plugin updates, but has no impact on functionality of the software. Without registering, you must perform manual plugin updates to keep your software up-to-date. You can download the plugins at https://toolset.com/account/downloads to perform manual updates.

Let me know if this does not solve the problem and I can take a closer look.

Will test Toolset again and come back with new support ticket if page building issue (as you say likely unrelated) persists !

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.