Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post Form occasionally fail to save

This support ticket is created 2 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for sharing these details.

It is strange that there is no error in the log and yet you're getting email notifications for some submissions, but their posts are not getting saved. I failed to reproduce this on a test website, with a couple of different scenarios.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, along with the link to the page where this form can be seen? I'll also need your permission to download a clone/snapshot of your website, in case it needs to be investigated on a different server.

Note: Your next reply will be private and it is recommended to make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

There are only 2 post forms in Toolset. One of those is on the site's home page. Almost every page on the site uses one of the 2 post forms available.

Waqar
Supporter

The admin access details worked, thank you.

I'm currently performing some stress tests on my website to see if this behavior can be reproduced.

Thank you for your patience and I'll share the findings, as soon as this testing completes.

Here are 3 more leads that sent emails but failed to save yesterday.

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
Post Title Doreena - 941-580-0786
First Name* Doreena
Last Name* Gonzalez
Phone* 941-580-0786
Email Gonzalez doreena 7@gmail.com
Cred Cred Prefix Post 95372
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9772
Cred Cred Prefix Form 12208
Cred Cred Prefix Form Count 1
Apbct Visible Fields {"0":{"visible_fields":"wpcf-msclkid wpcf-gclid wpcf-csr-code wpcf-referring-url wpcf-source-domain post_title wpcf-campaign wpcf-keyword wpcf-first-name wpcf-last-name wpcf-phone wpcf-email","visible_fields_count":12,"invisible_fields":"_cred_cred_prefix_post_id _cred_cred_prefix_cred_container_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_count","invisible_fields_count":4}}
Mar 16 10:52am:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
Post Title Scott - 812-360-3148
Wpcf Campaign {campaign}
Wpcf Keyword safelite
First Name* Scott
Last Name* Owens
Phone* 812-360-3148
Email Scottowens75j@gmail.com
Cred Cred Prefix Post 96303
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 10332
Apbct Visible Fields {"0":{"visible_fields":"wpcf-msclkid wpcf-gclid wpcf-csr-code wpcf-referring-url wpcf-source-domain post_title wpcf-campaign wpcf-keyword wpcf-first-name wpcf-last-name wpcf-phone wpcf-email","visible_fields_count":12,"invisible_fields":"_cred_cred_prefix_post_id _cred_cred_prefix_cred_container_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_count","invisible_fields_count":4}}
Mar 15 10:33am:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
Post Title Tiffany - 863-236-1268
First Name* Tiffany
Last Name* Walker
Phone* 863-236-1268
Email tiffanywalker28@gmail.com
Cred Cred Prefix Post 95372
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9774

Waqar
Supporter

I've been running some tests on my website, but, so far, wasn't able to reproduce the issue.

I'll continue the testing over the weekend and share the findings, at the start of next week.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for waiting.

Can you please check if any third-party plugin, custom code, or server policy can interfere with the post revisions or auto-draft status posts in the database, for optimization purposes?

The way Toolset's add new post form works, whenever the page with a form to add a new post is visited in a unique browser, an auto-draft post is saved in the database. When the form submission is successful, that auto-draft post is changed as the actual saved/published post and another auto-draft post is created in its place.

If you'll check the link for the post edit screens, using the IDs from "Cred Cred Prefix Post", available in the 3 email leads that you shared in the last message, you'll see that they shows the message "You attempted to edit an item that doesn’t exist. Perhaps it was deleted?"

{yourwebsite.com}/wp-admin/post.php?post=95372&action=edit&classic-editor
{yourwebsite.com}/wp-admin/post.php?post=96303&action=edit&classic-editor
{yourwebsite.com}/wp-admin/post.php?post=95372&action=edit&classic-editor

Thank you Waqar, for looking into this.

Both your team and I have created and worked with duplicates of this entire site and are unable to reproduce the problem. There is no consistent interference from another plugin. The forms start dropping when the server is under a heavier load. This site received about 50 submissions per day and is dropping about 10% of them.

Something is happening that causes Cred to loose track of the ID of the auto-draft, so it never gets updated because Toolset is probably attempting to update the wrong ID.

Couldn't we write a custom function or some JavaScript to intercept these IDs and re-run the update command on the ID? Perhaps if we simply create a redundant command, we wouldn't be loosing these submissions while Toolset works to solve the issue?

4 more examples below:

Mar 22 10:42am:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
First Name* James
Last Name* Ahlers
Phone* 352-546-3560
Email ahlers.karen@gmail.com
Manufacturer Honda
Model CRV
Vehicle Year 2001
Which Glass Is Broken? Front windshield
Insurance Company Geico
Cred Cred Prefix Post 99581
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9820
Cred Cred Prefix Form 12278
Apbct Visible Fields {"0":{"visible_fields":"wpcf-msclkid wpcf-gclid wpcf-csr-code wpcf-referring-url wpcf-source-domain post_title wpcf-campaign wpcf-keyword wpcf-first-name wpcf-last-name wpcf-phone wpcf-email wpcf-vehicle-manufacturer wpcf-vehicle-model wpcf-vehicle-year wpcf-which-glass-is-broken wpcf-insurance-company wpcf-policy-number","visible_fields_count":18,"invisible_fields":"_cred_cred_prefix_post_id _cred_cred_prefix_cred_container_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_count","invisible_fields_count":4}}
Mar 22 10:26am:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
First Name* joel
Last Name* marquez
Phone* 251-504-0927
Email marquez14325@yahoo.com
Manufacturer lexus
Model rx350
Vehicle Year 2022
Which Glass Is Broken? windshield
Insurance Company none
Cred Cred Prefix Post 98673
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9818
Mar 19 8:50pm:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
Post Title Juan - 561-752-6831
First Name* Juan
Last Name* Rivera
Phone* 561-752-6831
Email Jcracer91@gmail.com
Cred Cred Prefix Post 97397
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9774
Mar 19 10:56am:

Wpcf Csr Code 0000BND
Wpcf Referring Url hidden link
Post Title david - 321-926-3539
Wpcf Campaign {campaign}
Wpcf Keyword safelite
First Name* david
Last Name* burnne
Phone* 321-926-3539
Email brunnernortredame@gmail.colm
Manufacturer hyundai
Model veloster
Vehicle Year 2014
Which Glass Is Broken? windshield
Insurance Company geicco
Cred Cred Prefix Post 98352
Cred Cred Prefix Cred Container 9808
Apbct Visible Fields {"0":{"visible_fields":"wpcf-msclkid wpcf-gclid wpcf-csr-code wpcf-referring-url wpcf-source-domain post_title wpcf-campaign wpcf-keyword wpcf-first-name wpcf-last-name wpcf-phone wpcf-email wpcf-vehicle-manufacturer wpcf-vehicle-model wpcf-vehicle-year wpcf-which-glass-is-broken wpcf-insurance-company wpcf-policy-number","visible_fields_count":18,"invisible_fields":"_cred_cred_prefix_post_id _cred_cred_prefix_cred_container_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_id _cred_cred_prefix_form_count","invisible_fields_count":4}}

Waqar
Supporter

I've discussed this matter internally and we seem to have an agreement that on a high-traffic website, where many users are simultaneously visiting the page with the new post form, this auto-draft post mechanism can result in overlapping of IDs, in very specific circumstances.

Unfortunately, changing or bypassing this mechanism will require a major refactoring of the Toolset Forms plugin and it won't be possible to share any time estimate.

You're using this Toolset Form only to collect leads as email notifications and post entries in the "SDW Leads" post type. Are you open to the idea of using any other third-party forms plugin for this?

There are a number of third-party plugins available for front-end posting ( ref: hidden link ) and even a basic free plugin like the Contact Form 7 ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/ ) can be used for this purpose.

Here is an article that lists hooks available for the Contact Form 7 plugin which can be used to save the form submission as a post entry, after successfully submission:
hidden link

I sincerely appreciate your honesty. I need to solve the problem and it helps a great deal. This is not critical, we are simply forwarding 2 email notifications and saving the form as a new lead. There are 2 versions of the same form, one only asks for additional information, but they function the same.

I will configure a duplicate of the website and build the replacement there and then I will move the forms & form plugin to the live site. Please keep be update on the progress of the rewrite. I am working on two other sites that incorporate much more of toolset CPTs and views. I will need to know that none of those leads are being missed.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for understanding.

We announce all the important plugin updates through our blog and changelog, so please watch out for those.

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one, for each new question or concern.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.