Skip Navigation

[Resolved] post content entered from related field screen does not update original field.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? edit post type field from entry of a different post type

when I add content to a 'clients' post type in the 'client about' field, the content doesn't show on the front end.

but when I go to a 'projects' post type connected by relationship, and fill out the 'client about' field on that screen, the content does show on the front end.

If I update content in one place it does not reflect in the other. I can't figure out why there seem to be 2 separate fields in play with the same name/post type of 'client about'.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Can you please share problem URL of both the posts where I can see the content working and not working and share admin access details and let me check whats going wrong with your setup.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please share few screenshot what section I should compare and with what fields with working and not working URLs?

1.JPG
1a.JPG

the screenshot with content in the client field is the client screen, the other one that has blank content is the project screen. if you view the project, you will not see the client (organization) info, but if you put content into the client field of the project screen, it will show up on the project (organization) page. so it's as if there are 2 different fields but I can't find where there are two.

Minesh
Supporter

I see you are using the following content template to display the single post:
- hidden link

If you visit the content template listing page in admin you will able to identify that what content template is used for what post type:
- hidden link

You can check by editing the content template and check what field is displayed with what section and you will be able to identify what content is displayed by what field that is added to the content template.

the field is 'client-about' and it shows up correctly in the template only when the content is entered from the projects screen (in admin). there is only one such field. i don't understand why it doesn't show up in the template if I enter the content in the 'clients' screen, but it does show up if I enter it from the 'projects' screen?

Minesh
Supporter

I could not able to access the wp-admin now. Can you please send me user/pwd to access the wp-admin.

Do you mean that when you are on post edit screen of post type projects you can see the " client-about" field. And now you also want to see the field in backend post edit screen when you edit the post of post type "client" - is that correct?

Or you want to see the field when you connect the related project and client on post edit screen?

Can you please share both admin link where you can see the field and not?

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

You must have misunderstood here how custom fields works when it assigned to multiple post type from custom field group settings.

When you assign a single field to multiple post type - it will not sync the values in-between.

For instance - you have post type A and B and you created a custom field group and add a custom field AB to this group so the AB custom field will be available when you add/edit post type A or B.

Lets say you post X belongs to post type A and post Y belongs to post type B. When you edit post type A post that is X and make any changes to custom field AB the changes will not reflect to the related post of post type B post Y.

I dont understand yet why you use the "Client About" in both post types. As I can see you have one-to-many post relationship between post type client (one) and projects (many).

If I'm not wrong you want to display "Client About" field value on single post of client and projects - is that correct?

Is that Ok for you to keep the "Client About" custom field on client post type only and then we can display it on both client and project posts? Does this makes sense?

yes, maybe I'm confused. I don't have a client_about field in projects. only in clients. but it the 'where to use this field group' of the client post type, projects is checkmarked. I thought this was just so that it shows in the projects edit screen, to make it convenient. but are you saying it actually creates a separate instance of the client_about field?

Minesh
Supporter

Yes - actually it does.

As you can see - the following custom field group is assigned to display with "Projects, Tasks, Clients" post types.
- hidden link

You can adjust this settings so the above field group should only display in the backend with your desired post type. So if you want that the above custom field group should display with only "Clients" post type then you can adjust the setting with above custom field group so that it should display with only "Clients" post type when you add/edit client post in backend admin.

and where does the instance live in the database? since it's not a custom field of the projects post type?

Minesh
Supporter

Once you uncheck to display your custom field group with "Clients" post type - it will not be available on add/edit post of project post type.

Can you please first uncheck unwanted post type and save your custom field group.

Then, please decide you want to display "Client About" field value on only client single post or also you want to display on project single post?

I'm still confused. you say yes, it does create a separate instance of client-about when entered from the projects screen. I'm asking where is this other instanced stored in the database?

Minesh
Supporter

Well - all custom fields stored in the postmeta database table with its associated post ID.

But if you do not want to display that field on project add/edit post in admin, you just simple adjust the custom field group setting and set it to only "clients" post type and you will not see the "Client About" custom field anymore on your project add/edit post screen in admin.

yes, I understand how to remove it from the projects screen by unchecking the box in the client custom field group setting. i just want to understand this feature because from what I read I thought it was just showing the field on the prjoects screen, not creating a new instance. so it is in the meta for the projects post?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.