Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Placeholder not working

This support ticket is created 7 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hello

Placeholder isn't working at my cred form:

[cred_field field='post_tag' placeholder='Add here some tags']

While it works in the same form at:

[cred_field field='source' post='company' value='' urlparam='' placeholder='Add your url here ...']

Why it won't work at tag input?

Thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I double-checked on a test site, and it is not possible to add placeholder text to the built-in WordPress tags input field.

It is a text input field so in theory it could be possible, but it currently is not.

I would suggest you just use a label instructing your users to add tags, or if you really needed to add the text as a placeholder text within the text field, you could add a JavaScript snippet that, when the page loads, sets the placeholder attribute on the post tag text input field.

When you create or edit a CRED form there is a section to add custom JavaScript below where you add the markup for the CRED form content.

If you go down that route and have problems, let me know and I can help.

> you could add a JavaScript snippet that, when the page loads, sets the placeholder attribute on the post tag text input field

Can you explain how to implement that?

Thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Just to let you know I am still working on this.

The code you need to add is very simple, but when I came to test it it was producing unexpected errors, and I may have stumbled upon a bug.

I'm double-checking things and will get back to you.

Nigel
Supporter

So, the bug was in my head, not in the code, and a little coffee was all it needed to resolve this.

In your CRED form you need to add the following snippet to the custom JS box:

( function( $ ) {
	$( document ).ready( function(){

$("input[name='tmp_post_tag']").attr("placeholder", "Enter your tags");

});
})( jQuery );

Most of that is just standard wrapper code for triggering our code once the document is loaded, there is only one line doing the actual work of identifying the correct input field for the tags, and setting the placeholder attribute to the specified text. You will want to edit the text according to your needs.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.