Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Passing filter values to a view with a shortcode

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by helenmaryC 5 years, 7 months ago.

Author

I have a CPT called "Dogs." I need to list dogs filtered by a list of author ids, so I designed a view with a shortcode filter for author id. if I insert the following in a page it works: [wpv-view name="dogs-for-rosettes" author="135, 136"]

The list of author ids needs to be generated based on the current user. Each user has a custom field called primary-id which links them to other users in their family, one of which will have the same ID and primary-id. I created a shortcode to generate a list of comma-delimited user ids as follows:

//Create array of linked users
function crfcrc_linked_users(){
    $linkedUsers = [];
    $current_user = wp_get_current_user();
    $userID = $current_user->ID;
    $primaryID = get_user_meta($userID, 'wpcf-primary-id', true);
    $user_query = new WP_User_Query( array( 'meta_key' => 'wpcf-primary-id', 'meta_value' => $primaryID ) );
    // User Loop
    if ( ! empty( $user_query->get_results() ) ) {
        foreach ( $user_query->get_results() as $user ) {
            $linkedUsers[] = $user->ID;
        }
    }
    return $linkedUsers;
}
//END Create array of linked users

//Shortcode: Comma-delimitted list of linked users
function crfcrc_linked_users_cd() {
    $linkedUserArray = crfcrc_linked_users();
    $linkedUserCD = implode(", ", $linkedUserArray);
    return $linkedUserCD;
}
add_shortcode('crfcrc-linked-users-cd', 'crfcrc_linked_users_cd');
//END Shortcode: Comma-delimitted list of linked users

If I just put my shortcode on the page it shows exactly what I expect: 135, 136

if I then try to add the view to a page using [wpv-view name="dogs-for-rosettes" author=[crfcrc-linked-users-cd]] what shows on the page is a single ] and nothing else. If I look in developer console, there is a comment "View not found." I have tried adding double-quotes around my shortcode, single-quotes around the shortcode, and adding a closing tag, [/crfcrc-linked-users-cd], and the only change is that I get "], '], or [/crfcrc-linked-users-cd]] instead of ]. I have also tried modifying the code above to remove the space in the Implode function, but that didn't seem to help.

Is what I am trying to do possible? I have used Types shortcodes in this fashion when adding a view to a view and it worked, so it seems like it should be. I have a feeling that I am missing some php escape sequence or something, I know I can create the list by coding it in PHP, but I am just starting to get the hang of Views and would like to get this to work. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

[wpv-view name="dogs-for-rosettes" author=[crfcrc-linked-users-cd]] would be wrong, it should be:

[wpv-view name="dogs-for-rosettes" author="[crfcrc-linked-users-cd]"]

Additionally, you should make sure to register your Custom ShortCode in Toolset > Settings > FrontEnd Content > Third-party shortcode arguments.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/shortcodes-within-shortcodes/

That should solve the issue

I had a feeling it was something easy. I must have been searching on the wrong keywords because I hadn't seen that part of the documentation before.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you! Have a great rest of the weekend!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.