Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Overriding bbPress templates with Toolset

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi,

I created in Toolset a (single) content template in Toolset for bbPress Topics, but it is not shown on frontend, even in content template preview mode in Toolset.
I think the theme still uses its bbPress templates (overriding bbPress's one), so
I think i should have to change a template file (in theme's bbPress directory), supposing:
content-single-topic.php
with a file created by Toolset.

Which is this file?

Or if I'm wrong, how will I be able to use that CT for Topics what I created in Toolset?

Thank you

Buddy press and alike, will not allow you to alter their templates as they are hardcoded.

There is no feature in Toolset that would allow assigning the Templates to BuddyPress or any other similar forum/social network plugins, as they generally hardcode the templates.

Toolset doesn't provide Themes, hence if your Theme offers custom templates for these things, you might be able to alter those and call a Toolset Template with PHP Code, using this API
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-api/

However, that would require custom code, it could not be done directly in the assignment settings of a content template

Hi Beda,

in this case it's rather misleading in Toolset / Dashboard that it shows I've ALREADY CREATED and set a single content template for Topics ( and I can do it for Forums and also for their archives )

So do you mean that even if a Woocommerce, bbPress, Buddypress or any other 3rd party custom post type is listed on Toolset / Dashboard, highly probably I will not set an overriding content template for them, even if Toolset shows I can / I did ?

So (regarding my earlier support topic), we are neither able to fetch and modify existing 3rd party content templates (or forms) nor create a completely new one?!

This case that Dashboard gives a false sense of opportunities, ending up wasting multiple hours...

The problem is those are Custom Post Types as by WordPress standard, that's why Toolset catches them and even offers to assign.
But their Templates are not standard WordPress templates usually (for example using the_content)

Hence, you can very well apply the content template to those posts, but the theme/plugin isn't able to replace anything with them, as no the_content is present.

Templates intended for specific renderings like Buddy press cannot be styled like that unless you apply custom code.
Note that even if you could apply, then the Content Template wouldn't offer any features of BuddyPress to insert, so you'd again need to rely on their templates. That is exactly why they hardcode those templates, as they are featuring specific things, not usual to WordPress.

WooCommerce templates are the same but Toolset provides a "glue" plugin to allow using Toolset templates on WooCommerce Shop and Products.
That's elaborated here: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views/getting-started-woocommerce-views/

Generally, you will be able to style any post that is displayed with the_content() as native WordPress Post Types do.
As soon custom functions are used to display the content of the page or feature, it'll be possible only in restricted scenarios (you can specify the third party function to replace, but that won't work with BuddyPress, as those are many - not just one function used)

Forms, which create content, do not rely necessarily on the same restrictions, but templates do.

Hi,

"This case that Dashboard gives a false sense of opportunities, ending up wasting multiple hours...

I think Toolset should work the way that not only provide features which can spare some minutes or hours of work, but also inform us properly which direction NOT TO GO, what not to do (which might end up with wasted hours and days)!

So if it is so simple, why Toolset just examine whether the_content() is used in the original CPT template and conditionally allow us to create a Toolset template?!

We can close the ticket, but I wanted to emphasize the importance of avoiding wasted time caused by some misleading way of operation...

I assume performance was a concern
I will extend your concerns and suggestions to the Developers, it makes sense to be more careful in the dashboard with what is shown as "should/could" do's

Thanks!

Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.