Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Only access to users own posts

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to know how to allow their users to access only their own posts.

Solution:

This can be done by following the instructions in the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/#managing-access-control-for-posts-pages-and-custom-post-types

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jim 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Jim

Hello,
new project; clientavatarcreator

My website wil have a new custom posttype; an "Avatar".
Here you can generate a custom avatar based on answers to all kind of questions.

I want anybody to be able to register an account on my website where they can create their own avatars.

But I want users only to be able to see their own avatars, nobody elses.

Is this possible?

Also, I can imagine that a user would like to categorise avatars so a taxonomy could be used, but again, idealy they would only be able to see their own categories and make their own categories.

Any idea how to attack this?

Thanks.
Jim

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jim,

Thank you for getting in touch.

You can allow a user to have access to their own Avatars if these Avatars are as posts, however for your taxonomies these are more general so you wouldn't be able to restrict the users to see only the terms they created.

To setup the user to edit their own Avatar take a look at our access documentation below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/#managing-access-control-for-posts-pages-and-custom-post-types

Jim

I see.
Thanks Shane, I think with Access I can get that working.

Is there a way to create another post type, linked to a user, where they can add their own terms to, to use as taxonomy?

And is it possible to have the permalink rewritten with the username in the url:

/avatar/jim/avatar-1

And so that the url: /avatar/jim/

would show all his avatars

Thanks,
Jim

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jim,

You are able to add the author's information to the permalink so this should be able to get it resolved for you.

Just go to Settings -> Permalinks and from here you can customize the permalinks.

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

Hi Shane,

from settings you can set the permalink of all posts. I just want to set the permalinks for this post type.

There is a setting for permalinks in toolset. I wonder if there is a posibility to use some kind of tags like %author%/ in there (I tried this but doesn't work):

hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately you're not able to do it with this setting however you can try use the plugin below to see if this will help.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-permalinks/

Thanks,
Shane

Jim

Thnx Shane, will try that!
Would be nice if the toolset permalink could get more functionality without the need of an extra plugin for this.
Maybe in a future update?

Jim

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.