Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Newest Divi editor hangs when Types field is marked Required

This support ticket is created 4 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

When editing a page in the backend, using the New backend Divi editing experience, the Divi Builder editor will not start if there is a Types Custom Field on the page which is marked as Required.

The reason seems to be that Divi immediately saves a Draft of the Post just prior to starting up its Builder (after an admin clicks the Edit With Divi Builder button).

The issue is that Toolset Types will not allow the Post to be saved due to a field being required, as it tries to throw a warning to the user. So everything just hangs with the Divi loader in the middle of the screen.

The only mitigation is to make sure that no Post-type where the Divi Builder is going to be used has any Required Types fields.

It is not necessary to post debugging info here, as this is design incompatibility between Toolset Types and the new Divi Builder.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I am not sure if you have checked the Doc that shows how you can use the Divi with Toolset:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/

If you will visit the above Doc, at top of the page we mentioned that you should not use Divi with New backend Divi editing experience. You must you a classic editor with Divi.

In addition to that, we also recommend that you should stick with Divi 3.x.x for now as there are many known issues with the Divi 4.x. on which our Dev will start to work on soon. Please check the following blog post:
=> https://toolset.com/2019/10/toolset-and-divi-4-issues/

Thanks for the references. Unfortunately, the older Divi backend is actually broken and no longer functional for this particular installation. The posts are too long, with too many rows it seems, and the older Divi backend just ... stops ... opening edit windows. It was also causing problems for certain editors with it timing out, needing constant hard refreshes, and being very slow and unreliable.

The new Divi editor is far better in those regards.

In addition, Elegant Themes has stated to us in writing that they will no longer be supporting WP4.9 with their editor so we had to upgrade WP5, and with that came an update to Divi 4.

The incompatibilities between Divi and Toolset are minimal IMO, mostly revolving around convenience functions like being able to auto-magically insert Toolset shortcodes. I don't miss it. In other places the incompatibilities are within how the_content is being passed around inside the main loop. I usually don't care about that either, as my use cases for Toolset don't access content in that way very often, especially when using Divi - as presentationally, Toolset and Divi have always been incompatible to a large degree.

The problem I mention here is more deeply problematic because it's a philosophical difference between Divi and Toolset over which entity gets to control the backend editing experience on saving, error finding, and notifications. I think you're going to have make changes WRT Divi on this, perhaps only on non-GB backend edit screens. IMO, to get around the issue I've mentioned here, you're going to have to make a path through Types code which understands that when the Divi editor is being fired up for the first time on a new Post, that you (Types) are going to have to ignore empty fields for the 1st save on Required Types fields because Divi is auto-creating an "Auto generated draft post" - and it will never be possible to reconcile this issue unless you make a change.

Minesh
Supporter

I understand what you are saying and concern.

The posts are too long, with too many rows it seems, and the older Divi backend just ... stops ... opening edit windows. It was also causing problems for certain editors with it timing out, needing constant hard refreshes, and being very slow and unreliable.
==>
It seems your site will be also a good test case for us. you said you have long posts to address the performance issues or anything like having heavy loaded content. it should help our devs to review such a test case. Please share with what post type you have such long posts or share few direct links.

Would you mind to share duplicator package of your install and I will pass it to our Devs:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I'm able to reproduce this issue and reported to our next level support.

However, as stated at top of the page we mentioned that you should not use Divi with New backend Divi editing experience. You must you a classic editor with Divi.
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/toolset-divi-integration/

And there are many known issues with Divi 4.x, our Devs will check and review what they can do here. Please do not expect the fix very soon. There is no ETA on it. I will update you here as soon as I now have anything to update.

Minesh
Supporter

I got the news that at first, you should file a new feature request to add support for "New backend Divi editing experience" integration as this is not supported for now and its clearly added/mentioned with our Docs.
=> https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

You should also contact Divi support as well to add your voice as many other users would likely have it implemented and that will help them/us to prioritize the things. I would like to update you that even if we agree to add support for this feature, there is no ETA on it as its completely depends upon the predefined priorities and available resources and in addition to that how well and what support and co-operation we get with the integration partner where required.

For now, the only way I suggest to go with is to use the classic editor as I do not have any other choice to offer you.

Having said that to add support for "New backend Divi editing experience" it still falls in a gray area for which it still needs discussions/investigations. However, we hare asking all users to submit the new feature request so the concerned person reviews it and prioritizes the feature accordingly. I would encourage you to file a new feature request and stick with the classic editor.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.