Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Migrating toolset data from domain to subdomain

This support ticket is created 2 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

We are currently using toolset to power this resource library: hidden link - but we are redesigning the architecture of this site and would like to isolate the resource library onto a new subdomin here: hidden link

We migrated the plugin and what we thought were the associated databases, but it is coming up empty. We would also like for this library to appear as the homepage of this subdomain, rather than it's own page. Can you help us figure out how to:

A) Migrate the isolated library (without the other pages/styling of the existing site) and
B) point the home page to the library

Thanks !
Amy

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Is this subdomain a completely different website ? Moving the Toolset plugins only from one site to another won't bring over the structures that were saved on the original site as this information is stored in the database itself.

Secondly when you say "We would also like for this library to appear as the homepage of this subdomain, rather than it's own page." are you referring to the data that is stored on the original site to now become the homepage on the subdomain?

Migrate the isolated library (without the other pages/styling of the existing site)
Is the library a separate custom post type created with Types?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back to me.

We want this subdomain to be a completely different website. The original website will point back to it, but we also want to be able to point other sites directly to it as well.

We used tool set and custom post types to build the resource library.

Currently the resource library built with toolset appears on this page: hidden link (and a developer I'm no longer working with actually set it up, so I'm honestly not sure how it's coded to do so). But on the new subdomain, I would like for the resource library to appear on the root page.

Hoping this adds some clarity! Thank you for your help!

Shane
Supporter

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the clarity.

However to move the Toolset components you will need to go to Toolset -> Export/Import and then export your types component.

On your subdomain you will need to go to the same setting and then import the zip file.

Now you will need to go back to your original site to export the posts created with Toolset. Go to your wordpress dashboard and click Tools -> Export and then export the components that are tied to toolset. This will export all the data.

Follow a similar step to import your data onto the new site.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your help. I have followed your instructions and have successfully brought over all the resource components that I could get via Tools > Export/Import. However, I still can't seem to move over the "Content template for Resources" and "Archive for Resources" that is available on the original site. I am adding a screenshot to show you what I mean more clearly. What next steps can I take?

Mikaela

Ok, I now did some more work and I believe I resolved the issue of no content template and no archive for resources however the resource hub is still not working. All the posts, resources, tags, CSS, categories and plugin data have been moved over and it is still not working. Can I give you access to the site so that you can quicker identify what the issue is?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Amy,

For these you will need to use the Toolset Module manager plugin which should allow you to export/import your content template.

The module manager plugin can be found at the link below.

https://toolset.com/download/toolset-module-manager/

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane, As I wrote in my previous (second) message I already resolved the content template and archive issue but it is still not working as expected. I can view individual posts but they are unstyled and the "resources" slug generates a 404. Therefore, I asked if I could give you access to the site. It may be easier for you to support this way. Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Amy,

My apologies, yes please provide the credentials.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Amy,

I believe the issue here is with the slug of the archive.

When I changed the archive slug the page loads fine. Perhaps you need to change the slug to a different value.

However having a look at the full context, it would be best to fully migrate the site to the sub domain and then remove the components that aren't needed.

The reason for this is because any view or archive that was created using the Gutenburg editor can only be transferred by a full migration of the site.

Currently your archive is saying there is no view found on the archive which is a good indicator that a full migration of the site is needed.

To do the migration you can use one of these 2 plugins.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

Thanks,
Shane.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.