Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Menu admin is blank if Types is disabled I get it back

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is whenever the user creates their taxonomy in Types their menu disappears from the frontend and its no longer there in the Appearance -> Menu option.

Solution:

The problem was identified with the use of the slug "output" when creating a taxonomy. What seems to be happening is that 'output' might be an unlisted reserved word for taxonomies.

It should be noted that the problem also occurs when the taxonomy is created using PHP code and when the slug 'output' is assigned.

The user was advised to open a ticket with wordpress core because the issue is not on Toolset side but it's strictly with the wordpress core.

The issue need to be addressed by wordpress directly.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49331#ticket

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by leonardoG-3 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

After updating to the latest 3.3.9 Types version, I added a new custom taxonomy and boom! My menu is gone! Gone means is not visible from the admin area (nor the frontend). If I try to add a new item to it, it simply disappears after I hit save.
If I disable Type everything is fine again! Weird enough?
What I did.
All plugins disabled but Type = Same
Default Theme 2020 = Same
Previous version of Type (3.3.8) = Same
Changed php version from 7.3.x to 7.2.x = Same

This is a big problem as I was trying to add new features for a client via Type... :O

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Leonardo,

Would you mind if I grabbed a copy of the site for further testing here ?

Thanks,
Shane

Yes that's fine, just let me know what I can do on my side.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Leonardo,

I ran a quick test to see if I could replicate the problem on your site but I doesn't replicate for me.

I'm able to create the custom taxonomy.
hidden link

Could you provide me with the exact steps that you did ? What I did was to go to Toolset->Taxonomies and hit add new.

THanks,
Shane

Did you check the menu? because that was the issue, not the custom taxonomy.

Shane
Supporter

Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 11.03.29 AM.png

Hi Leonardo,

See Screenshot

The menu is still there. Could you record a quick video so I can observe what happens for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

the WORDPRESS MENU.

Appearance-->Menus

hidden link

Shane
Supporter

Hi Leornado,

Thank you i'm able to go and replicate this properly now.

Will provide any information as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Leornado,

I've reported the issue to our 2nd tier supporters but I found that deleting and remaking the taxonomies resolves the issue.

Could you try doing this on your end if possible and see what results for you ?

Thanks,
Shane

Unfortunately, I can't do that since it's live website clients are using. I can try on the dev site but is the one you have access to as well. So yes, as I said, this happened when I first created a new post type + taxonomy on a website that already had CPs. So I wasn't starting from scratch, and this is even weirder if you ask me.
Any confidence in seeing a bug fix/beta version?

Hi Shane is out today and will return tomorrow to continue assisting you here. I took a quick look at the progress from our 2nd tier team and I can see that the issue seems to be directly related to the taxonomy slug "output", and a temporary workaround would be to give the taxonomy a different slug. I can't say with confidence we will be able to offer a patch or hotfix for this quickly, because it could be an issue with WordPress itself - only noticeable with Types active because the taxonomy is registered with Types. Our second tier team will continue investigation and Shane will give you another update tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Hi there, thanks for the update. Well this was definitely more helpful than "remove the taxonomy".

So clearly is a bug linked with the 'output' slug, I renamed to 'o' and the menu works again. looking forward for a fix (hopefully)

Shane
Supporter

Hi Leonardo,

We have gotten a full analysis of the situation here and it is in fact correct that the issue is due to the slug being used. This isn't a bug in our Toolset plugin but a wordpress issue.

What happens is that wordpress seems to be using the slug "output". Any taxonomy created with the slug "output" would cause the issue even if it is a taxonomy created manually using PHP.

This is quite strange because wordpress doesn't list the term "output" as a reserved word in the link below.
https://codex.wordpress.org/Reserved_Terms

If such was the case our plugin would've presented a warning to not use this slug. The recommendation as Christian has advised is to change the slug.

Also it is recommend that you open a ticket directly with the wordpress support as if such is the case they need to add "output" to their reserved words list.

Hope I was able to clear this up for you.

Thanks,
Shane

Indeed it is strange! But at least I'm glad it's not a Toolset bug 🙂

So I created a bug ticket for WP, if you want to jump in aw would be nice: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49331#ticket

Shane
Supporter

Hi Leonardo,

Great to see that you've opened the bug report with wordpress directly. Hopefully they can provide some more information or possibly fix this by adding 'output' to the reserved words.

If there are no further questions on this then you can go ahead and mark this ticket as resolved.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.