Skip Navigation

[Resolved] making site responsive

This support ticket is created 5 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.05 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 32 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi Shane,
Okay so I just completed going through my 500 plus views; 1 deleted more than 200, 2. I removed ALL code that wasn't connected to a class or an id. Hopefully I didn't miss anything (whether right or wrong I have to go through them all again anyway. I also have no idea why that even exists it seems to do nothing but break things. ) 3. I made sure to empty my views trash cuz with my luck that would cause issues. 4. I looked in my theme options cuz there is a css in there - the only css I have is .img{border-radius:10px;} - I assume this makes ALL my images have a radius, which is okay with me. 5. I then checked my child theme, which half the time I swear doesn't work this is what i have in it.

.fusion-footer-widget-area .widget-title, .fusion-footer-widget-area h3, .fusion-footer-widget-column .product-title {
color: #130341;
text-align: center;
}

/*mine Font in widget titles*/
.widget {
text-align: center;
padding-bottom :0.5em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
}

I am pretty sure I don't have css anywhere else, I don't like putting css in individual fusion or page elements cuz it is hard enough keeping track of views. I also was using css in my forms till changes where made and they all seemed to break, but I double checked them and they are all connected to the class.

If you still find code is somewhere on the site, I will need ideas as to where to look.

thank you again so very much
Lori

So apparently deleting a view deletes content templates. NOT COOL. I lost at least 2 content templates that were being used by other views. They were MAJOR. I am soooo not impressed.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Lori,

Please do not delete items as we are only looking for css to modify.

It was just a line of css that I was looking for to remove to get the height of the box adjusted.

I just need to know where this is.

It has be generated by something on the page itself.

However I can provide the css used to adjust the height margin or I can use an inline css to possibly overwrite it.

Also yes deleting a View that has a content template assigned to it will also delete that content template. If it was not deleted then it would cause the template to be orphaned.

You should be able to recover the view from the Trash option as they are not permanently deleted unless the trash is cleared.

Thanks,
Shane

Tooooooo late!!! I removed that code from the views that were on that page, and that wasn't good enough.

I don't know why or how. I am NOT an expert. I do not have a resource to find an needle in a hay stack. I found other coding with padding 1px that had no class or id assigned.

I deleted the stuff because with my luck you would have said it is still causing in issue and I didn't want to have go through this over and over for the same issue.

I am starting to melt. It is always like this with toolset. I have been working on the exact same issue for DAYS.

If the issue is still there you need to give me a better idea as to how to find it. all views from that page should be clear of that code.

who cares about orphaned content templates. I deleted Orphaned views. I have plenty of orphaned images. seriously, if the content template is being used in a view still deleting another view that was using it shouldn't delete the content template. it wouldn't have been orphaned it was being used by at least 3 other views that are currently on pages.

Makes no sense.

There is absolutely NOTHING left on that page that would cause any issues. I have removed my header and the bottom of the page i have gone through all the views on that page and that code isn't on any of them. the 2 bottom ones are attempts at bootstrap and they are still showing the image on the bottom line. which I thought shouldn't happen.

hit or miss will not work either. the very top view is NOT bootstrap, but it is't responsive despite being in a responsive page.

AS an FYI I am going to a Funeral this morning and most likely won't be back till after noon central time, so I won't be able to respond till after that.

So I have had a bit of bootstrap success - sort of. Maybe I will be able to figure some of this out after all. But please don't leave me yet. I am still having issues with the original grid.

I created a slider which can be seen on a separate page hidden link

the view for it is: {!{wpv-view name='banner-business-slider'}!}

this is the set ups for it.
loop editor
[wpv-layout-start]
[wpv-items-found]
<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
<wpv-loop wrap="1" pad="true">
[wpv-item index=1]
<div class="row ">
<div class="col-md-12">[wpv-post-body view_template="loop-item-in-banner-business-slider"]</div>
</div>
[wpv-item index=other]
<div class="col-md-12">[wpv-post-body view_template="loop-item-in-banner-business-slider"]</div>
[wpv-item index=pad]
<div class="col-md-12"></div>
[wpv-item index=pad-last]
<div class="col-md-12"></div>
</wpv-loop>
<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
[/wpv-items-found]
[wpv-no-items-found]
[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

loop
<div id="banner-business-slider">
<div class="container-fluid">
<div class="row-fluid">
<div class="col-md-12">[types field='externalurlimg-banner'][/types]</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

css
#banner-business-slider {
padding-top: 20px;
}

issues etc.
1. It doesn't actually loop. - but that we can deal with later. - If I have to create a new ticket I will.
2. One of the images isn't showing up and I have no idea why, I am using RFG views to populate the images so at this point anything is possible. - again I can deal with that. - the looping is more pressing than this.
3. It is in the fusion builder 1/2 container while the text is in another 1/2 container. It took a while but I figured out to set the col. at 12. - this was success to me. figuring out how the cells worked in this application.
4. I do not like how it looks on my phone but at least you can see the entire business card vs it being cut off when the fusion slider itself was being used. - Not sure if it's because of this view settings or something else.
5. I really really hate how the 1 vertical business card blows out the slider to the bottom. if it was going to blow it out I would rather the text moved to the center but I might go back and change the images to having borders.

6. Notice the padding. the image went to the top line this time - ugh. after A LOT of tinkering I did manage to pull it down a bit. Using the id for the first div did that. But it still wasn't center. I tried to use margin like you did BUT, it blew out the size of the container which I didn't like. - The fact I figured this out was success to me.

So Question - should I put a <div id=" "> on all bootstrap views? I guess this makes sense to me but part of the reason for my confusion is when any documentation on bootstrap is created it is as though they skip the first step or maybe more. It also seems like the applications I need are no where to be found. In General toolset NEEDS way more step by step videos and UP TO DATE videos. If not on your site then this is definitely a Youtube opportunity. Seriously. We are not all developers and toolset is way too complicated. Anyway.

I also put it in a page where the ONLY thing on it is the very top fusion builder container I want to use on the pages. Which is the link provided. ( hidden link )

When I added it to the home page the vertical centering was off and it pulls to the bottom again. I am sure it has something to do with what ever else is on the page. but I am working my way down the page's containers so I am hopeful it will come together.

here is a link to the home page:
hidden link

This means the Introduction is next in line for the fixing. - so as I typed this I decided to look at the view we have been working on in a "clean page" here is the link to the new page. - It is still on the original page.

hidden link

I did add the border to see how it aligned to it easier. I see it is off the border that is great!!! I am happy with how the spacing is around the content in general.

1. don't understand why the second container is blowing out past the first. - either way on this IF I was able to use a boarder I wouldn't want the line in between the posts but rather around the entire outside. - If I have to I will go with out the border on this one. but I will definitely want it on others. The other thing is if that blow out causes the entire outside (left and right) to be bigger than needed I would like that cuz it will change the proportions of the content sitting in the container.

2. This one is really my next issue with bootstrap grid. the right hand column - I want that text to be vertically center and it isn't. At this point I have not tinkered with any coding for this. I only removed a <br> I had before the title and added the border css for testing.

I know there is a lot here, I have been working non stop on this for the good or the bad for over a week. Hopefully there will be forward progress. At this point I am more concerned about how each bootstrap grid works individually and how to style them so they do not overlap their styling to other grids, and I get the function and look I want. I am literally going through every piece of content and redoing them for responsiveness.

Thank you again, I really really appreciate it.
Lori

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Lori,

This is quite alot to take in so please forgive me if I missed some of your points. I will try to respond and best and complete as possible.

For this page here.
hidden link

1. It doesn't actually loop. - but that we can deal with later. - If I have to create a new ticket I will.

A. Not sure what you mean by it doesn't loop. However I do notice that some of the sliders are not loading their images. This could be because you are loading the images from 2 CPT's and some of them may not have the image on the field that you are looking for.

2. One of the images isn't showing up and I have no idea why, I am using RFG views to populate the images so at this point anything is possible. - again I can deal with that. - the looping is more pressing than this.

A. What I would recommend that you do here is to restrict the view to only load the images from one CPT alone, this will aid you in the debugging step to see which set of images from the respective CPT is giving the issue as the slider should be looping.

4. I do not like how it looks on my phone but at least you can see the entire business card vs it being cut off when the fusion slider itself was being used. - Not sure if it's because of this view settings or something else.

A. Checking this page on my mobile it reflows fine for me, not seeing any area where it has been Cut off.

5. I really really hate how the 1 vertical business card blows out the slider to the bottom. if it was going to blow it out I would rather the text moved to the center but I might go back and change the images to having borders.

A. This one has to do with uniformity. The container is just adjusting to the size of the image. For this I would recommend that the business cards have a uniformed dimension.

For this page here
hidden link

1. don't understand why the second container is blowing out past the first. - either way on this IF I was able to use a boarder I wouldn't want the line in between the posts but rather around the entire outside. - If I have to I will go with out the border on this one. but I will definitely want it on others. The other thing is if that blow out causes the entire outside (left and right) to be bigger than needed I would like that cuz it will change the proportions of the content sitting in the container.

A. The border issue here was because the div in the loop container was being closed early. Wrapping the entire item in the row div in the loop output resolved this issue.

2. This one is really my next issue with bootstrap grid. the right hand column - I want that text to be vertically center and it isn't. At this point I have not tinkered with any coding for this. I only removed a <br> I had before the title and added the border css for testing.

A. When you say vertically centered are you referring to it having spacing from the border?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Shane, thank you for your response.

1. The slider is only actually missing 1 slide. Mini Bike Maniac is the first slide, the green Prime My body is the last slide there should be 17 slides, then back to the beginning with in Mini Bike Maniac as the first. - this doesn't happen on my computer or my phone. To me the fact that it slides tell me it functions, so not sure where the missing link is to come back around or "loop" in my mindset.

2, 4 & 5. Missing image. I am clear I made this a compound issue. I do have my reasons, I could keep it easy and use the fusion slider but it does limit me and actually causes more work once up and running. The fusion slider also caused the slides to hang out past the purple field on my phone there by cutting off part of the business card. I have to turn my phone to see the entire card, which isn't being responsive from what I have been told. Currently the images are smaller than the purple area which in this application I am not fond of but it is way better than being cut off. I will be working on redoing those images. If you notice, other than the slider, all the business cards currently have a white top and bottom border and the vertical one does have a side border, for this exact reason. I actually had a web developer tell me that is unnecessary and that I was wrong about the effects of the images being horizontal vs vertical. Thank you for the validation. I was just hoping I was actually wrong, cuz now I have to tinker with the images but that is okay.

1. Damn Divs lol, a blessing and a curse. I have been trying to watch them. but it is nice to know that was an easy fix and I will keep that in mind.

Okay back to alignment. Here is the link to my home page. hidden link
On the home page I have the original, NON-Responsive introduction view, that I am trying to replace. Notice how the paragraph on the right is basically in the middle height wise to the business card. THAT is what I want. I do not see that on the new view. On Serv Pro it doesn't matter the content is enough to make it unnoticeable, however, the mini bike maniac it is high in relation to the business card. Does that Make sense?
hidden link

I want the new bootstrap grid view to look like the old one that is currently on the home page.

Thank you so very much

Lori

Hi, Shane is out this week so I'm checking in on his tickets. Let me go through the points so far and we can continue from there.
1. The slider is only actually missing 1 slide. Mini Bike Maniac is the first slide, the green Prime My body is the last slide there should be 17 slides, then back to the beginning with in Mini Bike Maniac as the first. - this doesn't happen on my computer or my phone. To me the fact that it slides tell me it functions, so not sure where the missing link is to come back around or "loop" in my mindset.
Okay I'm able to see 17 different slides, including Mini Bike Maniac #1 and Prime My Body last. After Prime My Body, the slider loops back to the beginning and starts again. Is this working as expected for you now? If not, which image (or images) is missing? What browser or device are you testing on? Can you clear your browser cache and cookies and test again?

On Serv Pro it doesn't matter the content is enough to make it unnoticeable, however, the mini bike maniac it is high in relation to the business card. Does that Make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. However, it's not a trivial thing to accomplish in a responsive design with a multi-column layout. This is one thing tables were able to accomplish well, but responsive design is not. There is no single setting you can choose to vertically center the text within a column of unknown, unpredictable height. I strongly suggest you reconsider this requirement of the design and spend your time fixing other issues. Otherwise you're going to have to commit a considerable amount of time to reworking the code in this section. If you do not agree, we can look into it but as custom design work this goes into the back of our queue.

What other pending issues have we not discussed? I don't see any other open questions but maybe I have overlooked something.

Hi Christian,

I was able to figure out the slide over the weekend, it is all good now, thank you.

It is unfortunate that responsive grids don't handle the vertical better. I did a LOT of research over the weekend and obviously was not successful. I will begrudgingly give that up.

the last thing I am having issue with on these grids is the border, I am now assuming I am going to have to give this up as well, but I am still holding out hope.

On some views I want border to go around only the outside of the container, regardless of how many posts get populated, not a border around each individual post. Is this possible.

Thank you
Lori

On some views I want border to go around only the outside of the container, regardless of how many posts get populated, not a border around each individual post. Is this possible.
Sure, this is possible. Right now it looks like you have applied the border styles to the ID #introduction-bootstrap-test. Instead, you could apply the border styles to some CSS class, like this:

.bordered-rounded-view {
  border: 2px solid #130341;
  border-radius: 10px;
}

Then add that class to a wrapper around the outer View:

<div class="border-rounded-view">
  [wpv-view name="Your view name"]
</div>

Remove the border styles applied to that ID and delete the ID from your markup. It's not recommended to use duplicate IDs anyway.

okay - you lost me on so many levels.

1. I used ID cuz that is the ONLY thing that ever seems to work - especially when it comes to individual views. I also don't repeat them cuz that defeats the purpose in my mind set. they are always the same as the slug, unless I accidentally don't change. it.

2. I don't know if you want me to literally put this <div class="bordered-rounded-view">[wpv-view Name="introduction-bootstrap-test"] </div> in the set up or just add another div class above what is there. I tried both cuz I don't know what you are doing, and I know just enough to be dangerous, and neither worked.

3. I could have 5 views on a page. I want them to be independent of each other. I don't want the styling of one to affect the other and from my experience what you showed me 1. vague direction that could be applied to any view, that div class can be part of any view, and affect anything. 2. removing the ID, is going to not only not work but cause further issues.

I don't understand, and it didn't work.

Lori

1. I used ID cuz that is the ONLY thing that ever seems to work
If you would like to learn why CSS selectors don't seem to work, here's an article about CSS specificity: https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/07/css-specificity-things-you-should-know/
The problem with IDs is they must be unique, and the results in a View are variable. So it can be difficult to create CSS styles specific for those corresponding unique IDs. In those cases, you may need to add inline styles directly in the View using conditional HTML. I can show you some examples if you'd like. https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-html-output-in-views/

2. I don't know if you want me to literally put this <div class="bordered-rounded-view">[wpv-view Name="introduction-bootstrap-test"] </div> in the set up or just add another div class above what is there. I tried both cuz I don't know what you are doing, and I know just enough to be dangerous, and neither worked.
It seems to be working partially now. The border appears but is not rounded. I checked and you have a typo in your CSS code. Check the border-radius specification. It has a colon at the end of the line that should be replaced with a semi-colon, like this:

border-radius: 10px;

3. I could have 5 views on a page. I want them to be independent of each other. I don't want the styling of one to affect the other
If you're talking specifically about the border style, then the answer is to apply the border-rounded-view class only around those Views where you want to apply the border. You can use conditional HTML in the loop of the View to do this. If you're talking about styles in general, then you can apply different inline styles to any element in the View using conditional HTML, or create CSS classes that can be reused by multiple elements in the View and apply them using conditional HTML.

Hi Christian,

Okay so 1. If the ranking of selector is inline styles, ID's, Classes, attributes and element, then i'm following. But your argument again ID's isn't working. I use ID's because Classes never seem to work, or they are tooo general. Maybe I am just not understanding this. So first of all I create a VIEW, IF I give it a name that already exists I get an error message of which says one already exists. So by default my VIEW will have a UNIQUE name. This unique name is what I use for my ID's. To me this is logical. This also means that the styling I now create for that view USING the id will only belong to that view. So for me the likelihood of a border for my view blowing out to other views or elements in the page are less. This desire to have a border design specific to that view has absolutely nothing to do with the actual results in the view and their variables, other than whether I want the border to be in between the results or not that does vary depending on the application. So I am not seeing the argument for classes here at all. I read your "things you should know" and it even says "You should always try to Use ID's to increase the Specificity" which is exactly what I am trying to do. basically overrule what ever is causing the borders to blow out. Again I Just am not seeing how class works here. I also use conditional outputs all the time, the content specific to those business cards is all in conditional output. I have watched that video a number of times, however that doesn't help with border issues. There are times I want the border to be around each result and other times I want it to be around all results.

2. Dame typos. sorry about that. My only excuse is my brain is much and bootstrap has it spinning.

3. okay you lost me here, yes i am referring to borders, and how they from time to time blow out and will border the entire page of contents. I for the life of my do not understand how inline styling or conditional styling would work for a border. I am not understanding how a class even works. If I can't get a border to act the way I want around content I won't be trying to get things inside the content bordered.

okay so i fixed the typo - not sure why there is a double line there, I have the same view on another page hidden link
to see how it works with out any other views and there isn't a double line. However, I want the bootstrap view to look like the one above it on the sunday newsletter page. I DON'T want a line in between the results. I only want it on the outside, is this even possible, cuz I have been working on that for over a week.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.