Skip Navigation

[Resolved] make a selection from parametric search results

This support ticket is created 7 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by randiT 7 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hello:

I want to create a parametric search and when results are displayed, be able to choose from the results.

For example if there were 100 results returned based upon my parametric search I want to be able to select from those results with a checkmark or similar. I will use the selected parametric results to make final selections based off of personal preferences.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Randi

What are you going to do with this list of checked posts? If I check 8 of 100 posts, what next?

It sounds like you want your parametric search results to render as a list of checkboxes on a form.

What happens when you submit the form? How are you going to handle that?

I haven't done it, but you can design the output of your View pretty much however you want, so it should be possible to render it as a form. That is very much Toolset, and I can help you with that.

But what happens next is probably going to require some custom coding to handle the form submission which will be outside the scope of the support I can offer, unless you already have a plan for that.

If you can elaborate on what happens next—and how you are going to handle it—then I can help you get started, if in fact a rendering your parametric search results as a form is the right way to go.

Hello Nigel:

Yes, you are correct... a list of posts based upon Parametric search results and having them render as a check list is optimal. Ultimately the selected list will use custom post fields to populate into an email probably via Mailchimp. I need a "simple" solution (if possible please). Thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

mwVyq9dkKE.gif

Hi Randi

Generating the results as a checklist is fairly straightforward, but I still don't know how you are going to handle what comes next.

In the loop output section of your parametric search you will want to set it up something like the following:

[wpv-layout-start]
	[wpv-items-found]
		<form>
		<!-- wpv-loop-start -->
		<wpv-loop>
			<label><input type="checkbox" id="post-[wpv-post-id]"> [wpv-post-title]<label><br>
		</wpv-loop>
		<!-- wpv-loop-end -->
			<input type="submit" value="Submit">
		</form>
	[/wpv-items-found]
	[wpv-no-items-found]
		<strong>[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]No items found[/wpml-string]</strong>
	[/wpv-no-items-found]
[wpv-layout-end]

That produces a result as shown in the attached screen recording.

The question then is what are you going to do with this form? How are you going to handle the form submission?

Toolset can be used to generate the form, but that's as far as it goes, I'm afraid.

You are looking at writing some custom code to handle the form submission, or using 3rd party plugins or integrations.

Hi Nigel:

You are the best. Thanks for the help and code. I will use it and write the necessary custom code. Thanks again.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.