Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Link to author of ads

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 6 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 6 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi there,

Is it possible to link to the author of an ad?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to create a page that lists the advertisers' logo, website url, address and the ads that they placed, I guess you could call it a custom archive page.

Is it possible to create a page like that and link to it from the single ad?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

Firstly, sorry that it has taken so long to reply to you.

You have posted in the Community Forum for the free Types plugin.

As a paid subscriber, you can and should post in the Toolset Technical Support forum which we prioritise when busy, and where you will receive more prompt updates.

Regarding your question, it sounds like you want to create a custom post type for your advertisers and make the ads a child post of the advertiser posts.

Then in a template to display a single ad you can add a link to the advertiser parent which displays whatever content you need for the advertiser (set this up with the custom fields you need) and which contains a View listing the child posts (the Ads) for that advertiser.

It is the kind of set-up described here (https://toolset.com/documentation/beyond-the-basics/post-relationship-concepts/) and here (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/).

Do you want to read through that and try setting it up, and if you run into problems let me know.

Hi Nigel,

I am a paid subscriber.

Sorry about that, should I re-create the ticket rather?

Nigel
Supporter

No, we can continue here.

If you read the linked documentation and set up a parent Advertiser-child Ad relationship and need help with the links etc., then let me know.

advertisers.png

Ok, I hope I'm understanding this bit correctly.

I create a new post type and then select listings as the child? (I attached a screenshot.)

Nigel
Supporter

Yes, that's right...

Keep going 🙂

Hi there Nigel,

I've gotten myself pretty confused and turned around so I reverted back to my first step by creating the Advertiser post type and selecting listings as the child.

What would my next step be?

Also, if need be I can provide access to the site.

Nigel
Supporter

There are two parts to this.

The first is the Advertisers page with details of the advertiser.

So you need to create a Custom Fields Group which you assign to the Advertiser post type and add the custom fields you require, for the logo, url etc.

Create some content, i.e. some advertisers and some listings.

When you create listings you should see a field to set the parent advertiser. Do so for each of your listing posts.

So now you should have some advertisers, and these advertisers have some listings, each of which specifies the parent advertiser post.

Now, create a new View to display listings (choose the option to display all posts when creating the View).

Add a post relationship Query Filter to show posts which are children of the post where this View is shown.

The design the Loop Output as you require, e.g. to show the listing post title and anything else you want to appear in the list of ads shown on the advertiser page.

Now create a template for single advertiser posts. Include the custom fields for logo, url etc., as required.

Also, insert the listing View you just created.

Now when you visit and advertiser post using this template the View will show the child listings of that advertiser.

That's pretty much what's involved.

If you get stuck at any particular step, let me know and I can elaborate further.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.