Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Limited user role/permission to CPT and media (without standard WP POSTS)

This support ticket is created 7 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am having the a similar problem as other users and can not resolve. I need my custom user role to only have permission to manage my CPT and all MEDIA access. This does not seem possible without enabling POST permisions. I also do not want Posts visible in dashboard and am looking to streamline a backend dashboard limited to my CPT's and Media management. I believe I've viewed all threads on this and see no solution.
(ps - this pertains to dashboard only, I'm not using CRED). THANK YOU.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi James

I just wanted to let you know I'm working on this, I was testing what looked like a solution but ran into something which may be a bug and am currently consulting with colleagues.

I'll let you know when I have something concrete.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi James

It appears that the Access settings for Posts are trumping the settings for Media and for the CPT.

Even if you say that Media and the CPT are not managed by Access, the settings for Posts are being applied to Media and the CPT. It appears as if the settings for Posts are acting as an umbrella for other post types (including Media) and the inner post type settings cannot be less restrictive than the outer 'post' settings.

I have escalated this ticket as a bug so that it can be investigated further, and when there are any further developments I will keep you posted.

In the meantime you cannot disable Posts and leave your Media and CPT unaffected. All that I can suggest is that as a workaround you either:

1. use some CSS to simply hide the Posts menu entry in the dashboard, or
2. use one of the WP plugins available to customise the admin UI.

I don't have any experience with 2 to be able to recommend one over another, and you may find in practice conflicts with Access.

In any case, I will report back when I have more news.

Thank you. You've verified my assumption and that's a great suggestion to hide with CSS for now until we have a resolve.
This would be a needed feature across the board for many clients as we want the dashboard as streamlined as possible for those not needing a blog/news feed and the current restriction puts POSTS and COMMENTS (? I'm pretty sure) in the dashboard. Let me know when we have this resolved please.
THANKS

Nigel
Supporter

Hi James

I spoke with the developers about this.

Media is a built-in post type and it is not possible to specify less restrictive settings for Media than it is for Posts. If you limit users so that they cannot publish or edit posts then they will also not be able to do that to Media, regardless of any settings you make in Access for Media. It is a not-possible-to-fix, I'm afraid, and the only viable option is to hide the UI for posts.

If you are not restricting permissions for Posts then you don't necessarily need to use Access to manage your CPTs because they will default to the same permissions as Posts (and if you want them to be able to access and update Media you are going to need to leave them with Post permissions).

Your concern would be if knowledgeable users manually enter the urls to publish or edit posts, but if you think that is unlikely you should be fine hiding the Posts UI rather than coding a solution which manually intervenes in post publishing and editing, for example.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.