Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Layouts with Genesis and Divi Builder Integration

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by MichaelR9215 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello,

I have a few questions, so I can use Toolset to the best of its ability. I feel as though my workflow can use improvement, and as such, I have a few questions regarding the stock Toolset functionality, in addition to the Genesis, and Divi integrations.

I usually use the Genesis Framework on all of the websites I build, simply because it is what I used for a long time before I discovered Toolset.

Even back when I first started using Genesis, I've always felt like it is a cumbersome theme that adds a lot of extra work to my development. I am constantly removing, or editing a ton of their pre-written CSS, and I don't really ever use their custom hooks, and other functions.

When I started using Toolset, and Layouts in particular, it seemed like there was another extra step thrown in that made everything even more cumbersome. I still remove a TON of CSS ... there is also CSS that just sits there without being use. Plus, Layouts starts with a blank white screen, so when I build a layout, I don't even use the Genesis stuff anymore.

With all of this said, in your opinion, is there a reason I should continue using Genesis? I'd love your perspective on this, because it seems like Toolset as a whole kind of replaces all of the base code that comes with a theme. I know a theme is required for Toolset to work, but does it really matter which theme I choose? Will I get the same results no matter what?

Okay ... on top of Genesis, and Layouts, I have the desire to integrate a page builder into the content, to give my clients a nicer experience.

I am leaning towards Divi Builder as my builder of choice. I realize that Layouts 1.9 is going to have some page builder functionality. Here are my questions regarding this ...

First, if I continue using Genesis, can I only install the Divi Builder plugin, and use Divi Builder with Genesis? If I do this, would I just install both the Genesis, and the Divi integration plugins. Or, can I only use one of these at a time?

As a followup question, if I only want to use Divi Builder, and not the Divi theme, can I install any theme, and use Layouts and Divi Builder with it?

Next, if I start using Divi Builder ... when Layouts 1.9 gets released, and I upgrade, with the Layouts content builder functionality play nice with Divi Builder? Will it be automatically disabled, will I be able to use both together to enhance what I am doing, does it make sense to have both, etc?

Again ... I am trying to streamline my workflow. I want to make my life easier, and my clients' lives easier.

Any suggestions from you on how I can simplify my development stack would be appreciated. Since you have experience with all of these themes, and plugins, how would you go about make this all work?

Also, from a performance, and security standpoint (since Genesis names these things as one of the benefits of their framework), can you touch on this?

Thanks so much!!

Let me reply to your questions below.

1. Is there a reason I should continue using Genesis?

If you ask me, no.
I personally do not like bloated themes, I usually start off with a very(!) minimal Bootstrap Based Theme and do the rest with Layouts and Toolset

2. I know a theme is required for Toolset to work, but does it really matter which theme I choose?

No, it does not, and yes it does.
My suggestion, use a very(!) minimal Bootstrap theme, maybe even your own created "blueprint", or, the Starter theme, although, if you want my very personal opinion, even that theme is already too much 🙂

3. Will I get the same results no matter what?

Theoretically yes, it of course depends on what CSS and JS you use, and how the theme generically is built (HTML structure)
This is why I start usually with bluprint of mine that has soleley a style.css (empty), a index.php that integrates Layouts, and a functions.php + the header and footer.
I integrate Bootstrap and that's it.
Then you can truly get the most out of specially layouts.

4. Regarding page Builder, we integrate already with Genesis and DIVI + Layouts, and you can use those page builders with Toolset:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/toolset-divi-integration/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/layouts-genesis-integration/
YOu can use both, the Layout and the builder.

5. I dont' think DIVI builder works without DIVI theme.

6. New features in layouts will not destroy old integrations.
The plan is though to provide a Content Builder, but for now it's just a very basic approach.
https://toolset.com/2016/11/upcoming-toolset-updates-wordpress-4-7-beyond/

7. This is a personal opinion, but again, if I develop things I start to start with something close to nothing.
This keeps debugging minimal, I know where what is and where it's displayed.

Please have a look at what I did (it's just one of many variants) as a blue print I use for local debugging:
hidden link

It is possibly the most minimal Theme to use with (or without) Layouts and Toolset.
You might say the template structure and code in it is not exactly "traditional", but it's what keeps my development neat and clean.

Also the Starter theme is a relatively good starting solution, I just dont like that it comes packed with a lot of "instructional" messages and some CSS wich I can simply avoid in my own blueprint.

As a Developer, I like more minimal things.
But this is a question of preference.

Please let me know if you need more infos.

Thanks for the advice! I downloaded your minimal theme to play with. You're absolutely right, it is much better to start fresh, and not have all of that junk code floating around my projects.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.