Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Layouts and Divi – Full Width Divi Row?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello,

I just purchased the lifetime membership over at Elegant Themes. I thought Divi looked really nice, and the fact that Toolset has Divi integration seemed even better!

I have a few issues that I need to clarify.

I looked through your Divi documentation. It is pretty limited, but I tried to glean as much info as I could from it.

I also watched the video that Amir put out. Again, it's pretty vague.

My concern is that you guys are saying that if you are using Divi page builder, you must use the Divi content row within Layouts.

I found a forum post from May 2016 where Beda said that you can use a Layouts full width row, but in your documentation, you specifically say not to use a non-Divi Layouts row. However, you don't supply us with a full width Divi row to use.

Can you explain to me how I can use Divi in a full width capacity with this limitation?

Thank you!

1. My concern is that you guys are saying that if you are using Divi page builder, you must use the Divi content row within Layouts.

Yes, this is correct.

2. I found a forum post from May 2016 where Beda said that you can use a Layouts full-width row, but in your documentation, you specifically say not to use a non-Divi Layouts row. However, you don't supply us with a full-width Divi row to use.

You can use it, of course, but not when you want to use the page builder.
Please acknowledge that also there are more restrictions coming, due to the way DIVI and other integrations / themes work.
As in example you will not be able to use a Visual Composer anymore BEFORE the content row.
This changes will be implemented with the upcoming major releases.

Related to Full Width, you would need to use the Layouts related Row classes, but as said, those won't work together with the Builder if you want to edit that row's content with the Builder.

Beda,

Yes, this is the reason for my support request. I want to use the Divi page builder within a full width row, but there is not a full width Layouts row available that works with Divi.

Is there any way to remedy this? I don't to have conflicts between Divi, Layouts, and Bootstrap by using the Divi builder within a standard Layouts full width row.

Is there code that can be added, or are you guys planning to update the Divi integration to have a full width Divi row?

Speaking of updates ... are you planning on continue to update and support all integrations, specifically Divi? I read the new post you guys published, and it seems like you are planning to develop your Layouts content builder along side all of the other page builder integrations. Is this correct?

My last question is, if you plan to make Layouts page/content builder equivalent to other page builders, will you be slowing down development on the other integrations, or with you develop them with equal importance?

Thanks!

Also,

I think I misunderstood before ... you were saying that the Divi integration ONLY works with the Divi theme installed and activated? I can't just use the Divi builder?

When it comes to any page builder plugin, can I use these plugins safely with Toolset, or will any of the page builders require a special integration plugin built by WP-Types?

As an example, there is another builder I was looking into called Themify. It is a standalone plugin, NOT a theme. Would I be able to install this, and just use it?

Thanks!

I talked directly to the Developer of the integrations.

There’s an easy way to do this. Let me explain it.

Custom row modes (like the integration rows) pre-pack the row structure for a particular type of content, while you can always reproduce (almost) the same thing by using any row type.
All you need, is to use appropriate ID and Class attributes.

For example, the content row mode of DIVI uses following structure (high-level):

- <div id="et-main-area">
— <div id="main-content">
———— content here

So you can use any row type from layouts.
For example "Cells extend to full width" ==> which expands to full page width.

Then you can apply the "et-main-area" ID to the row, while you can apply the "main-content" ID to the content cell (used in the row).

This outputs (almost) the same structure, BUT, you may need to apply some extra CSS (to look it exactly the same).

To summarise:
- For full-width row, you can use any row other than the custom row mode, but you need to use the appropriate structure (i.e. IDs, classes)
- Or you use the specific DIVI row type (to wich BTW you can also add your Custom CSS if wished)

As far as the future updates are concerned:

This is going to change the almost same way, I mentioned above.
Means, we are going to less rely on custom row modes and cells (as much as possible).

So you can understand the real power of Layouts and we can help reducing such confusions.
We will try to make the Integrations as simple as possible without any Custom Content, by adequately updating the GUI and the Cell Types and the possibilities you have with them.

The integration is for the DIVI Theme, so yes, you need that Theme.

One last question ...

Can I use a page builder plugin with Toolset without an integration?

For example, there are some page builders that don't come packaged into a theme (Divi is now one of them).

Most of these builders claim that they work with any theme.

Regarding Toolset ... would this be the same as using any other plugin with Toolset? I would get a page builder plugin, install it, and activate it? If there are no conflicts, just keep using it?

Or are page builders different somehow?

So, considering I purchased Divi, I suppose my question is, now that Divi is a standalone plugin, wouldn't I just be able to install the plugin and use it just like any other plugin?

At this point, I wouldn't need the integration, because I am not using the Divi theme, just the builder plugin.

The reason I mention this, is that you and I discussed starting with a bare bones Bootstrap theme as a good way to start a project, so there is no bloat. If I start with a simple starter, and use just the Divi builder plugin, should everything work properly?

Thanks for your help!

1. Can I use a page builder plugin with Toolset without an integration?

Yes, but without integration, it will not work as with the integration.
With the integration you can use things as elaborated on our DOC; wihout, you can not.

2. We offer integration with 2 Builders (Visual Composer and Beaver Builder) and the rest are theme integrations.

3. DIVI is not a plugin, It's a Theme.
I suppose you mean the Page Builder those Themes offer and for that you need to use the DIVI Theme integration.
As elaborated, our Integrations are for Beaver Builder, Visual Composer and the Themes you find on our DOC.
There are no other Builders we integrated as standalone.

4. I am to be honest not even sure the DIVI builder works with a non-DIVI theme.

But for sure we do not integrate with it, if it's not used with the DIVI Theme.

It might work, it might not.

The integrations are not inteded to work with the Page Builder of DIVI only, but with the whole DIVI framework as a Theme.

Keep in mind that Layouts is going that way too, so, perhaps it's worth the wait for the Front End Layotus Builder features?

Beda,

Thank you for your reply. Divi Builder is actually a standalone plugin now that can be used independent of the Divi theme.

I realize that your integrations are created to create a connection between Toolset and certain themes, and builders. However, as I stated in my previous message, you don't have an integration for every single plugin in the marketplace, which stands to reason that because Divi Builder is a standalone plugin now, someone should theoretically be able to use it with Toolset.

Is this reasoning correct?

Now, as far as the new Layouts content builder is concerned ...

I am super excited about it, but I have needs for various projects that can't wait until this new feature set in Layouts matures.

When it does mature, I'll be the first in line to use it exclusively!

I guess the only thing I can do is start using Divi Builder without the Divi theme, and without the integration to see if it works.

Now that Layouts will have builder functionality, are you planning on discontinuing development on other builder integrations?

Thanks!

Yes, the reasons are correct, but as said, the integration requires DIVI as a theme.
You won't be able to activate the integration if the theme is not active, as we are looking for it.

We do not plan to discontinue development anytime soon.

I apologise that the integration is not for the builder alone, but for the Theme per se.

It might work without, but I never tested this.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.