Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Layout editor appearing unwantedly

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by russellH-3 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screenshot_2020-01-02 Edit Page ‹ The Center for Cartoon Studies — WordPress.png

I am trying to: Create a simple layout design using WP Blocks. My site does use Layouts on other pages, but I am phasing that out for new pages and not using Layouts. On this new page, the Layout editor suddenly appears over a block and I can't turn it off by pressing the 'Stop using Content Layout Editor' button.

My client did some edits on this page and it's possible that they pressed the old Layouts orange button to activate it. I reverted the version back to before they did it, but the yellow Layouts interface won't seem to go away for this page.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: It's the back end of this page: hidden link (password: Inky)

I expected to see: WordPress block interface

Instead, I got: block interface with Layouts in a block and I can't deactivate it for this page. I don't want to deactivate the Layouts plugin altogether because other pages still use it.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Russel,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Perhaps what you can try here is to delete this block and re-add it to your template.

If this doesn't help you can provide me with access to the site so that i can have a look on the backend.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Russell,

Disabling layouts would resolve the issue. However do you still have items or pages relying on layouts or are you moving all your content to use our blocks functionality ?

Please let me know .
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane:

Yes, I have a lot of other pages on the site which are built in Layouts, so disabling the plugin doesn't seem like the right option.

I guess I could just rebuild this page — it wouldn't take long — but I'm worried that this might happen again because Layouts is still part of the site. I guess that's what I'll have to do unless you can think of another solution?

Kind regards, Russell

Hey Shane:

I just saw that you turned off the Layouts plugin. I guess that frees up this problematic page but probably makes editing those old pages harder. Maybe we can turn on Layouts temporarily when we need to edit an old page?

Shane
Supporter

Hi Russel,

I would recommend converting your pages to use the new Toolset blocks, this is because Layouts is going into a maintenance mode to improve its features.

Currently we are advising customers to make use of our Views and blocks as best as possible .

Not sure why Layouts is locking out the template on this page but what I can do is to grab a copy of your site for further debugging with your permission?

Please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane:

Yes, you're welcome to grab a copy to test if you like. Do you need any more info from me or can you do that with your existing login?

When you talk about converting pages to use Toolset blocks, is there a quick way to do this or does each page need to be manually rebuilt?

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers, Russell

Shane
Supporter

Hi Russel,

It seems that you actually deleted the page that you were using to test this.

Is there another page on the site that is experiencing the same issue or was it just this page only? Also are you able to replicate this on any other page, if so could you let me know the exact steps that you did.

"When you talk about converting pages to use Toolset blocks, is there a quick way to do this or does each page need to be manually rebuilt?"

This would need to be done manually, however if we can pin point the exact issue that you're experiencing and replicate it then I can submit it to our team to get fixed.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane:

Sorry, that was my fault. I had to make this new page live so its URL is now this one:

hidden link

Same page as before, I just changed the address. is that okay to still look into?

Kind regards, Russell

Shane
Supporter

Hi Russel,

I'm still looking into this one for you and will post an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Russel,

Could you check the page now ?

I managed to remove the layout content editor from the page and it should be working fine now.
hidden link

It seems that the user may have clicked the content layout editor by accident.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane. I really appreciate it. Is it hard to remove the Layout Editor from a page if the client accidentally presses that button again? I'll warn them not to! I appreciate all your help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.