Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Is this possible with Toolset?

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.37 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by erik 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.08.25 AM.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Create a relationship link to similar post types

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Yes (uploaded image)
I'm creating a family-tree directory with association-links to other people that may be: wife, husband, son, daughter, etc.
Is this possible within toolset?

What is the link to your site?
Under development

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Erik,

Thank you for getting in touch.

This appears to be possible with our Toolset plugins. However you may need to separate them into 2 post types such as Parent and Child.

It can get a little more complex that this but it requires some amount of data manipulation based on the record that you're looking at.

So based on this it appears to be a death record.

You may need a post type called Deceased that is the central CPT.

However I think it would be better to have a single post type and then enter the records in their own self contained post type rather than using a relationship between multiple post types.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Shane

Thank you Shane ,
Yes, I have about 250+ records, but they all may share some commonality with each other... as a wife, sister, daughter, etc.
The relationship with other members is an interesting feature... although not sure how to link to already established members.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Erik,

I understand where you're getting at but the central person should be the deceased.

Complications in the relationship can occur because lets say the Wife of the deceased now becomes deceased. You will need to create a record for her under the Deceased post type while having a duplicate post under the post that holds the wife.

The next thing is the type of relationship data you want. Is it just Wife, Husband, Children ? as each of those will require a separate post type based on how im looking at it.

So if such is the case then you can go ahead and create your post type for Wife, Husband and Children then relate them to deceased cpt using a One to Many with the exception of the Children which would be Many to Many.

Please let me know what you think of this.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks, I think I get it... also, for clarification, all these people are deceased; it's a directory for the buried and their relationship to each other. I titled the post type as 'Descendants' ... and as i understand I'll create one for each" Wife, husband, children, etc.
and to each I'll add the descendants that are entered. I'll obviously find some videos that help show these concepts.
Thank you.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Erik,

I understand now. This structure can still work given that it's assumed they are all deceased.

If there is anything that needs clarification please let me know.
Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.