Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Is there a way for directory website not to show the map until search?

This support ticket is created 2 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by graemeH-3 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I'm still working on the problem that, I need to display the hundreds of locations I have in my directory on the map and Toolset doesn't allow this to happen without taking dramatically too long to load.

Another idea I have to implement this and preserve a good user experience, is to insert a blurred out version of a map as a simple JPG file in place where the map will be, with text to "Select your state to see locations near you".

Once the user would select the state and hit search, then make this blurred out JPG of the map disappear, and the actual map appear with the locations.

Could anyone guide me on how to do this?

Thanks

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

What if by default you do not display any result and just offer the search form and after user interact with search form and change the filter then you display the result.

There are multiple ways but I would like to first know how you configure your view. If you can share the problem URL where you added your view with map and send me admin access details, once I review your current setup I will be able to guide you in the right direction and can share best possible solution.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

I haven't fully decided on how I want to build my archive directory page yet.

The issue, page speed and trying to demonstrate with a map and many map pins to website visitors that there are many, hundreds, of locations in the directory that they can find near them.

Conditionally displaying a fake map until page load kind of sounds like a hokey way to do this..

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to default load the page to be showing a single state at once, so that not too many pins show up and the user intuitively knows they should just select their own state in the drop down menu.

I've got this open in another support ticket.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.