Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I want to determine if Toolset can fulfill some tasks on a website

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.
This support ticket is created 10 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by devaS 10 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I am creating a new website that will be something of a community driven news site. I don't particularly like new magazine style layouts so the site is going to be more blog style but with multiple users including anonymous posting.

It will have a few dozen categories/custom taxonomies. I want each category/taxonomy page to have its own page description so I was thinking that might be a custom post type but I don't know how to make the appropriate description appear on each of the category/taxonomy pages. Is that something Views can do?

Besides the usual 'posts' which I want to display on the homepage sidebar, it will have a second custom post type which will display in the center column on the homepage. Each category/taxonomy page is like the homepage but of course filtered for content. Again is this sort of thing something Views is good for?

I also want to have 'breaking news' which appears on the homepage only and of course only when there is breaking news.

I am using the Genesis framework and Dynamik child theme. I have some html and css experience, but no php. I've used Types before to create custom post types and taxonomies but not Views or other Toolset plug-ins. Before investing in the Toolset I would like to know to what extent it would be helpful for this project.

Any guidance appreciated...

Thanks,
Deva

ps - I am also looking for some paid help with the site.

uncanny, I could have written most of this post, I'm also using Genesis framework and Dynamik child theme and want to move to Types and Views

1) I want each category/taxonomy page to have its own page description so I was thinking that might be a custom post type but I don't know how to make the appropriate description appear on each of the category/taxonomy pages.

you can Customizing Archive Pages with WordPress Archives:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/
Display description of the category/taxonomy using View short code: [wpv-taxonomy-archive info="description"]
https://toolset.com/documentation/views-shortcodes/#vf-154477

2) Each category/taxonomy page is like the homepage but of course filtered for content.
yes, you can Customizing Archive Pages with WordPress Archives
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/normal-vs-archive-views/

3) I also want to have 'breaking news' which appears on the homepage only and of course only when there is breaking news.
Could you describe more detail for this question?
Thanks

Hi Luoy,

Thanks for your assistance... After reading through the links you provided, I went ahead and purchased the Toolset. I have some further questions and an issue arising but will post them in the correct location.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.