Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom Filter by authors in views

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to add a Custom Filter by Author in Views?

Solution:
Toolset Post Views cannot have Custom Filters for Post authors.
Only Query Filters are allowed on this parameter.

To Create a Custom Filter where the user can choose from the front end the Author of a Post so to filter the list by this value, you need to create a Custom Field or taxonomy and update your Posts with this new values.

As an example you could create a Custom Field (single line text field) where the author name can be entered on each post.
Then, by this, you can have a Custom Front-end Filter.

There is a request filed to allow the Front End searching by Authors, but this is not implemented yet.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 10.09.41.jpg

I am trying to create a filter that lets users filer blog posts by Author. I want to use the inbuilt Post Author taxonomy in WordPress. It does not seem straightforward. I have successfully created a Categories filter on this page:

hidden link

You can see I have tried to create a Authors filer but it does not pull the Authors names into the filter.

[wpv-sort-orderby type="select" options="post_author" label_for_post_author="Post author" orderby_descending_for="post_author"]

This works:
<div class="form-group">
<label>[wpml-string context="wpv-views"]Categories[/wpml-string]</label>
[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="category" type="select" default_label="All Categories" url_param="wpv-category"]
</div>

But when I try to create a similat filer using the tags available in Views, it only shows Categories and Tags (Attached)

Toolset Post Views cannot have Custom Filters for Post authors.
Only Query Filters are allowed on this parameter.

WordPress has no inbuilt taxonomy Post Author taxonomy.

To Create a Custom Filter where the user can choose from the front end the Author of a Post so to filter the list by this value, you need to create a Custom Field or taxonomy, and update your Posts with this new values.

As example you could create a Custom Field (single line text field) where the author name can be entered on each post.
Then, by this you can have a Custom Front end Filter.

There is a request filed to allow the Front End searching by Authors, but this is not implemented yet.
I added your voice to it.

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.