Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I need to replace the existing key with a new key.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am trying to replace the existing key with a new key. The existing key was set up by a developer rather than the website owner, and the website owner wants to change to their Toolset account to ensure that nothing breaks.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Tried different things from the forums, but am just looking for a field to replace the key.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link (development site)

What is the link to your site?
See above.

Hello, registration of the software can be handled in the site's wp-admin area. Go to wp-admin > Plugins > Add New, and click the "Commercial" tab. Scroll down to the Toolset installer panel and click the text link to unregister the software if it is currently still registered. Nothing will break, the site will temporarily stop receiving automatic plugin updates but no other functionality will be impacted.

The page will reload, and then the site owner should click the text link to register your Toolset software again. If you (by "you" I mean the site owner) already have a key generated, copy and paste it to register the software. If you do not have a key generated yet, you can click the link to "get a key from your account". You'll be redirected to your Account > Sites page here at toolset.com, where it will generate a key automatically for the proper site URL. Copy that new site key and paste it in the Toolset Installer registration panel, back in your site's wp-admin area.

Let me know if you have questions about that.

Thank you, Christian... now that you've outlined, I see everything and it is very clear.

I subscribed to a single site license. Can I assume that this is the same methodology I would need to follow to switch from my development key (associated with sig4cai.siteschema.com) to the production key when we go live (sig4cai.com)? And if I have a single seat license what is the benefit of using the developer key?

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.46.33 AM.png

Can I assume that this is the same methodology I would need to follow to switch from my development key (associated with sig4cai.siteschema.com) to the production key when we go live (sig4cai.com)?
It depends on how the site and key were set up in https://toolset.com/account/sites. This process was updated very recently to facilitate development keys, which are new for Toolset. If you created sig4cai.siteschema.com in your Sites area and designated it as a development site, keys generated for that site are development keys. Click the "link" icon by the trashcan in each row to publish the corresponding development site, and the existing development key will begin functioning in the production environment. See the screenshot here showing how to publish a development site. It is no longer required to unregister, generate a new key, and re-register in this case.

On the other hand, if you created sig4cai.siteschema.com as a site without designating it as a development site, keys generated for that site cannot be migrated to production. You must use the same methodology described earlier to unregister, generate a new key, and re-register.

And if I have a single seat license what is the benefit of using the developer key?
- Creating a development key does not count against your single site licenses. You have the ability to register the development site and also register the production site, so you can receive automatic plugin updates in both environments. Before development keys were introduced, single site license holders were unable to register both environments at the same time. Site keys had to be juggled between environments to receive plugin updates automatically; the workaround was manual plugin updates. Our registration documentation has not been updated yet and still reflects the older workflow: https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/#registering-toolset-in-a-development-environment
- When you are ready to migrate from development to production, you can "publish" a site at https://toolset.com/account/sites to update the existing development registration key to work in the production environment. In other words, you do not need to unregister and reregister the software with a new key after your site migration, just "publish" the site and the existing development key will begin working in the production URL.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.