Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to change the existing parent header and footer layout to my own?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hello... I'm new to Toolset and WordPress.

I am trying to:
Get my site to use the parent header and footer layout I created myself instead of the existing parent header and footer layout that, I assume, came with the Toolset Starter Theme. But when I went to my homepage, it kept showing the existing parent header and footer layout instead of my own.

I visited this URL:
Homepage

I expected to see:
The parent header and footer layout that I had created.

Instead, I got:
The existing parent header and footer layout that, I assume, came with the Toolset Starter Theme.

This is what I did:

1. I created a new parent header and footer layout called "layout-parent-header-footer-global" with a child layout cell in the middle.
2. I clicked the child layout cell and created a child layout called "layout-child-homepage".
3. I created a page called "page-homepage".
4. I previewed the "page-homepage" page, clicked "Customize" in WordPress' top menu bar, and assigned the frontpage to static page "page-homepage".
5. I assigned the "layout-child-homepage" child layout to be used for the "page-homepage" page.
6. If I clicked the "Preview Layout" button on this "layout-child-homepage" edit layout page, it would show me the correct parent header and footer layout that I had created.
7. But if I went to the homepage directly by entering the URL in the browser, it would still show me the old parent header and footer layout.

How can I get Toolset to display my own parent header and footer layout not just on the homepage but on all pages on my site? Did I do something wrong with the steps above?

Thank you very much.

chris

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Toolset support.

1. The steps you have mentioned looks like fine but may be something is missing or conflicting, please follow this to confirm:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/hierarchical-layouts/

2. Please make sure all Toolset plugins are updated to latest versions as a primary check:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

3. Also can you please share your Debug Information with us so we can see it? I have enabled debug info box for your next reply:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

If still issue exists, would it be possible for you to share site login with us and then we can check what’s happening there, let me know. Thank you

Hello Norman,

Thanks for your reply.

Following your suggestion, I updated my Toolset plugins to the latest versions, but the problem persists.

I'd like to share by debug info and the login credentials with you, but is this support message thread viewable publicly, or is it only you and I who can see it?

Thanks.

Noman
Supporter

Hello Chris,

I have enabled debug info box for your next reply:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I have also enabled private message box, please send us temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP Login info) to your staging site.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Looking forward to help you, Thank you

Hello Norman,

Here are the credentials of my test site:

[Credentials-removed]

I just made a backup of my site with UpdraftPlus. Yes, you have my permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.

My site is brand new so there's nothing much in there. Any object (layout, page, content, etc.) I created, I added a prefix "k" to its name. For example, "k-layout-child-homepage" and "k-page-homepage". Those without the prefix "k" came as part of the theme, examples, etc.

Please let me know what I did wrong with Toolset and how you fix it. Please let me know if you change anything else.

By the way, when writing to support like this, how would I know if the message I'm writing is going to be public or private?

Thanks.

Noman
Supporter

Hello Chris,

I have thoroughly checked this issue at your site and found that the problem is with your front page k-page-homepage and layout is not applying on this page. I have deleted this page and set Sample page as Front page, now layout is working fine on this page, please check here:
hidden link

I have also recorded a short video to confirm this:
hidden link

By the way, when writing to support like this, how would I know if the message I'm writing is going to be public or private?
>>I had enabled the private message box, which means only you and I had access to it.

Thank you

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.