Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to create a new page, not post

This support ticket is created 7 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: So when I create a new type, it looks like a post type. I'm trying to create a page type. I don't want all the meta data that a post type displays. I just wait to create a plain page type. I've read some of the threads about this. I don't understand Toolset. You have a really good product here, but its still not simple to use. Why have types create a default post type? Why can't we select which type we want to create, post or page. Is there an easy way of doing this other than hacking the code and having to worry about it being replaced if I update the WordPress Framework. You've gotta create a better product and start thinking about the ease at which we should be able to create types and views using your product.

Also, if i go into the theme options, which I am using Avada, and turn everything off, it turns off everything, including the build-in WP Post type. I don't want that. I want meta data to display on WP Post Types, as usual, then I want to create a Page Type is WP Types.

If there is a way to create a new page type, using your product, please let me know.

I visited this URL:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to create a Custom Page type with our Toolset plugins as they are meant to create Custom Post Types.

Thanks,
Shane

Yeah I was thinking that would be the answer. I'm just surprised at some of the simple things that are missed with this plugin. Toolset could be the best plugin for this functionality, just keep missing these very small details.

What about true bidirectional relationships? if I make a connection between the
2 content types, can that I found automatically display when posting on either content type? You guys call it many to many relationships, but it's not a true many to many relationship.

Again, I really want to use this plugin and market it to a large institutions, but I just keep going back to drupal.

Shane
Supporter

Hi David,

This is actually a limitation of wordpress and not the plugin. WordPress doesn't have an API to create custom Page types, essentially a Page is a specialized Post type created by the wordpress core, we are not able to create a custom page.

Also for the relationships wordpress doesn't have a way of handling post relationships. What we are essentially doing is using hidden custom fields to bind posts to each other essentially creating an imaginary relationship.

These are limitations of the wordpress core and not our plugins as we are mainly bounded by what can be done in wordpress.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for just asnwering my threads. You're pretty on point, thanks again.

So here's the deal. You I purchased the entire Toolset Suite more than a year ago, but haven't had any luck achieving my specific functionality at all. I'll give it another try. So this is what I'm trying to do. Let's start with a few questions.

1. Can Types/Views do bi-directional relationships (sort like Drupal's Entity Reference)?
2. Can you use Types/Views to display dynamic content using content types I created?

What I'm trying to do is create a website of publications & authors, both would be CUSTOM CONTENT TYPES. That's all caps because most assume I'm using the WP built-in user content type, I'm not. I created two content types, publications & authors. Publications have multiple authors and Authors have multiple publications. When creating a publications, I want that publication to appear on the Authors page, and vis verse. That's the bi-directional relationship I need and it should be automatic. Is this possible and if so, how?

I just keep going back and researching other plugin, like Pods or just building it in Drupal. I really want to likie this plugin.

Thx,

Shane
Supporter

Hi David,

1. Can Types/Views do bi-directional relationships (sort like Drupal's Entity Reference)?

A. Types can create Bi-Directional relationships through a 1 to 1 or M to M relationship. These relationships are imaginary as mentioned previously. More specifics on this can be seen in the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/creating-post-type-relationships/

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/many-to-many-post-relationship/

2. Can you use Types/Views to display dynamic content using content types I created?

A. Yes views can be used to display your content. It's actually meant for this purpose. Think of it like the Panels module for drupal, even though Panels would be more related to our Layouts Plugin.

Views is more directly similar to the items that you add to the panels module. Think of views like a small entity used to layout a list of content. Not sure if I explained correctly but our documentation should provide plenty of information on how to display the content.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Very Interesting. Can we start a private thread?

Thx,
Moi06

Shane
Supporter

Hi David,

As our Forum is a public forum and meant to help other, I don't have the ability to have private thread. We only have private replies for when customers want to provide credentials for their website as well as database backups.

Thanks,
Shane

Ok, I see. Can you send a private reply and I'll send one back, if it works that way.

Moi06

Shane
Supporter

Hi David,

Unfortunately not it won't work this way 🙁 because only supporters are able to enable the private fields.

Also Private fields are strictly for providing credentials and other sensitive information about the website.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.