Skip Navigation

[Resolved] GDPR check WordPress 4.9.6 not appear on comments

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to:

On the new update of WordPress 4.9.6 it says that introduce a new default check on comment form in order to accept the privacy policy.

I'm using toolset-starter version 1.4.2 and it don't appear on blog comments.

I need to specify something on the theme or add some function is order to see it?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

I expected to see:

The check on comment form

Instead, I got:

Nothing.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I'm just consulting with colleagues to see if I can identify the issue here.

With twentyseventeen I can see the new "Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment" checkbox on the comment form, but it is missing from the form on the Toolset Starter theme.

I'm not sure why because both use the built-in WP function comments_template().

I'll get back to you soon with an update.

Hi, this is Beda, I will help you with this.

1. Please change the theme.

Yes, this sounds shocking at first, please let me elaborate properly and inform you why, how and when.

- The Toolset Starter theme is deprecated.
- We deprecate this Theme because of several reasons:
1. It uses customized styles
2. It is not Toolset Content Layouts Ready
3. It is not using default WordPress API but was created only and solely to show users how you can use Toolset on a Theme that is fully integrated, which is something that became unnecessary nowadays.
4. It is and was not Toolset's main goal to enter in Theme development, but instead Plugin development and cooperation with 3rd Party Theme developers

- As solutions, use a custom post types ready theme as shown here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/. Or, you can use any other theme that uses the_content().
Or, if you need to design the entire template with Toolset Layouts - then you need a custom theme such as this very thoughtful example here:
hidden link
This last theme is an example I made for the purpose to teach how to create a custom boilerplate of a Theme that not only integrates Toolset but as well works without it, or mixed (with and without Toolset on different content).

When and how you should update, is up to you, but it's suggested to do this ASAP, and I suggest to follow as outlined:
- grab your current site and duplicate it on a staging site
- if you need Toolset Layouts to design the templates completely, install the Minimax Theme
- if not, install any other theme

Check the front end, and add eventual CSS to the Theme so to adjust the appearance.

You can as well proceed using the Starter Theme, but we cannot push more updates to it, as it's deprecated.

Now to the issue you report.

1. The Checkbox is included automatically if you add a call to comments_template(); to your Theme's single post PHP template.
2. The Starter Theme uses comments_template(); as well, so I do not see why this should not work, but it does not.

There is a major WordPress issue as it seems to me:
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/read-this-first-wordpress-4-9-master-list/#post-9687602
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/no-comment-form-cookie-consent-on-wp-4-9-6/

If you ask me, WordPress did not ship a fully working update, as the users confirm in the very support tickets, but it seems they do not yet know about this or do not know how to replicate it.

In fact, after clearing cache several times and as well waiting the suggested hour, solved the issue.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.