Skip Navigation

[Resolved] forms not updating custom posts

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shane 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
user registration post update.png
user registration pre update.png
FireShot Capture 505 - Edit Post Form ‹ Professional Editors' Guild — WordPress_ - peg.grafixone.co.za.png

I have a members setup website.

The problem I am currently experiencing is the Post forms and user forms do not update the records in the cpt.

It all used to work, then we migrated to a new VPS and after the migration, the following issues have presented. We can not comment if the migration was the culprit or not.

The setup: i created a "register user form"with toolset to register a new WordPress user. It is set to show only if the user is a guest.
It did work. the URL for it is
hidden link

as soon as you complete the form all the fields show an error ("attached image")

As you can see from the screen prints even if the data has been very carefully entered it still gives an error. Especially fields that have some validation.
I have the same issue with a post form. The post form is split in two. a profile registration form and a profile completeness form.
Both are multi-screen forms and also did work prior to migration now i can not register a new members profile.

I have tried to recreate all the forms in the most basic form and they still give me the same error.

Hello, this does sound like a problem that you might experience if the site was migrated incompletely or inaccurately. Is the old site still accessible online somewhere? If so, then it might be best to use a migration tool like Duplicator or All-in-One WP migration to clone the original site and import it into the new environment, overwriting any existing content. Those two plugins are designed to help prevent migration problems that can pop up when the site is migrated incompletely or with a manual process that does not account for URL differences, serialized data structures, options table entries, transients, and so forth.
See more about migration here:
https://wordpress.org/support/article/moving-wordpress/

Can you comment on the migration process that was used to move the site to a new environment? Was a plugin or 3rd-party tool used, or was the process more manual?

Can you also provide the site debug information from the new site, so I can see the new server configurations? We have information about providing the debug info here:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Good Morning Christiaan,

Thank you for your fast response.

The staging site is still available. We did use Duplicator Pro. We ran the plugin created package and uploaded it with the kontrolh (cpanel). Then we ran the installer and then did check that the permalinks.

Regards

Okay thanks for the additional information. The new site's configurations look pretty good with one exception - the MySQL version is 5.5.5. That will be okay for most features of Toolset but it will not support all features, specifically distance calculations, filtering, and address caching in Views / Maps. The official minimum requirement is MySQL 5.6+, which is compatible with all of Toolset's features.

Is the link you provided for the new site or the old site?
hidden link

I just tried registering at that URL and I saw no error messages like you described, my submission seems to have been successful. After the form submitted, there was a brief pause then a redirect, and I ended up here:
hidden link

I see in your debug info the URL hidden link, so I guess that is the new site URL, but I cannot see a similar registration form here:
hidden link
I see a maintenance mode message instead. Is there a way I can test at the new domain and see the same validation errors?

HI Christian,

Thx for your reply. I have removed the maintenance page so you will be able to access the form without a problem. I will be staying around today so if you would need login details I can give it to you.

The URL for testing is hidden link

there are others also but refer to the member profile multistep forms.

hidden link
You can test both if you get a login for the second one. I will be waiting around to assist with anything you may need

Private reply fields are available here so you can share logins.

Okay unfortunately I don't see anything obvious that would indicate what might have happened here. Do you have access to server logs on this new environment? Anything in the log that would indicate a fatal error or other significant problem on the new environment? If you're not familiar with logs I can show you how to activate one temporarily. Go in your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just after the WP_DEBUG line:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);

Try to submit the New User Registration Form once again. If any server-side errors are triggered during this process, it will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Use FTP to look for this file in the same directory as wp-config.php. You may need to click "Refresh" in your FTP browser to see a new file appear. Please download this file to your computer, open it in any text editing software, and send me its contents. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php and delete the log file using FTP.

Another quick question: Do you have any idea why Toolset Types is listed as Toolset WordPress Plugin, and Toolset Forms is listed as Toolset CRED, in wp-admin > Plugins > Installed Plugins? If it's not clear, let's try uninstalling and reinstalling Types and Forms just to be sure everything is okay in those two plugins.

Okay thanks for the log information. I don't see anything here that would indicate a critical error. Some PHP Notices are logged, but those would not normally create the type of problem we are seeing here.

I think the next step I can try is to take the original site clone from the previous environment and try to install it locally on my local environment. If the same problem arises, we can assume there is a problem in the clone itself or the deployment process, and I can try creating a new clone from the old environment to see if I can install it locally without these issues.

Do you have links where I can download the original clone package, or should I log in and try to create a new one in the old environment? If I need to create a new one, please provide login credentials to the old site. I just tried and the credentials I had before don't seem to be working now.

HI Christian,

We have been scratching further.

We installed a plugin called Profile builder. (Still Installed)
https://wordpress.org/plugins/profile-builder/

When creating a form with their out of the box form for user registration it worked 100%. Using the form and page that the plugin created. (user: pietie)

This user is used to login in. We then tried to create a membership CPT created with toolset custom post type. This is a multistep form,
hidden link the first step the form just stays on step 1 of the form clearing the form but not updating the custom post type. Obviously, it is having the same issue to register a member as it does to register a User.

Could we please escalate this. We were supposed to go live on Tuesday 17 August 2021 and we are still not able to give the client any answers of an ETA. I understand we are in different time zones, which is making it very difficult however I will be online today and tonight long as needed to assist with this ticket.

Regards

Unfortunately I get a login error with these new credentials for the peg.** site:
Error: The password you entered for the username supporttoolset is incorrect.

I'm working towards escalation and I need that site's backup page. I think it will be helpful for my team if I make clones of both sites for side-by-side comparison. I am in the process of making a clone of the editors.** site now, but I need an updated login for the old site to proceed.

If you're in a rush, have you tried migrating the site again using a different tool? All-in-One WP Migration is usually hassle-free in my experience. You could try migrating to a different staging server if you are hesitant to overwrite the editors.** site in its current state.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 10.14.49 AM.png

Here's a quick update. I was able to create a new clone of the editors.** site. You can find that package in the Duplicator Packages dashboard (it's the newer package). I installed that clone on my local environment where I have PHP 7.4.12 (the closest version I have to your site). The migration was successful, despite several warnings about possible database issues when installing from MariaDB engine to MySQL db engine (screenshot attached). The troubleshooting links displayed there:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

I proceeded despite this warning, disabled all plugins except Types, Blocks and Forms, activated the default Twenty Twenty One theme, and submitted the Form at /new-user-registration. The submission was successful and I was eventually redirect to:
/register-user-page/user-registration-thank-you/?cred_referrer_form_id=42
The User I created is now visible in the Users dashboard.

Then I also tested out the new Editor Profile Form and had similar results. No errors, as far as I can tell. A Private post was created and I was eventually redirected to my private Editor Profile post (since the custom child theme is disabled, this is expected):
/editor-profile/cred-auto-draft-837ec5754f503cfaaee0929fd48974e7/?cred_referrer_form_id=1391

So that is, overall, confusing. I was able to clone the site that seems broken on your live server, and when it's migrated onto my local server it's working correctly when Toolset is isolated with no custom theme or other plugins active. Next, I reactivated the theme and other plugins and tested the New User Registration form again, and this time I see the errors!

So that is something tangible I can test next. I will iteratively disable plugins and theme until I can pin down one or two components that trigger the issue to return. If you want, you can do the same test on the editors.** site, as that's going to be the next step for me once I've tested in my local. Disable all 3rd-party plugins except Types, Blocks and Forms, and activate a default theme like Twenty Twenty One. Test the new user registration form again. In my local, the problem was resolved.

I'll give you another update shortly.

Okay I have determined that the Events Calendar plugin is the source of the conflict in my local environment. Disabling that plugin fixes the problem in my clone, and I suspect it will fix the issue in editors.** as well. Was the Events Calendar plugin added to editors.** after migration from peg.**? That would help explain why the problem does not exist in the other sites.

Can you confirm that in the live editors.** site? You can temporarily disable The Events Calendar plugin and submit the New User Registration Form again. Or would you prefer I do that?

If the problem is resolved in editors.** after disabling TEC, I'll have enough information to escalate a compatibility issue to my 2nd tier support team.

Hi Christian,

You have nailed it. Once I have disabled the TEC plugin everything worked as expected. What is weird is the TEC was already installed before we did the Migration. The only change was no configuration was done. I also tested the upgrade but that wasn't the problem either.

I did a test on both the staging sites it worked with the events activated. It is only the live site where it did not like it.

Please let us know if we can do anything that may help you track the issue.

We are very grateful for your assistance with this matter.

HI Christian,

Thx for this. I have tested as you requested and the editors.* and when the events was disabled it worked. What was actually slightly strange was that the 'staging site" peg.editors* worked even with the events plugin active. I believe we are sitting with an issue of how the migration was done. The import was not done with the plugin. but with the installer. However on thepeg.editor* it was done with the plugin itself.
If you need anything from us to assist give us a shout and we will provide you with any assistance you may need

We do however want to thank you for your effort today.

HI Christian,

Thx for this. I have tested as you requested and the editors.* and when the events was disabled it worked. What was actually slightly strange was that the 'staging site" peg.editors* worked even with the events plugin active. I believe we are sitting with an issue of how the migration was done. The import was not done with the plugin. but with the installer. However, on the peg.editor* it was done with the plugin itself.
If you need anything from us to assist give us a shout and we will provide you with any assistance you may need

We do however want to thank you for your effort today.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.