Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filter Geolocation Search with wpv_filter_query

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by smileBeda 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have a post type with an address.
I have a view showing posts of that type, and a filter in that View, that queries by location (distance from XY).

I want to add a default location when no query params are set (when no search is run by user) and I do NOT want to use current user location. I tried to use wpv_filter_query filter to:
- check if query is set
- if not, pass my own query args, effectively having a default query

PROBLEM:
wpv_filter_query does not even hold the "distance" search query args. No matter if I search by a location or distance, the wpv_filter_query never shows these values... so I cannot alter them either.

QUESTION:
How do we filter view query when searching by location? Is it even possible?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Hi Beda, hope you are doing great!!

Actually, the thing is that "map_distance_filter" is a part of $view_settings when you use "wpv_filter_query".

So, when you var_dump() the $view_settings, you will notice that the all arguments related to maps distance filter will be available.

Please check the following related ticket where I had assisted the user:
=> https://toolset.com/forums/topic/display-view-of-nearby-places-relative-to-the-current-view-using-block-editor/page/2/#post-1896009

I hope this information at least help you to proceed in right direction.

Hello Minesh, thanks.

All good here, hope there too...

So the thing is, a Front End search by user location... is a query.
But yeah, I see it is not, thus, it is not possible to pass a default location only when there is no query run yet but only a always-present setting, which isn't the goal (since that would then overwrite all queries in the front end I would assume, being it a setting, rather than a query run by the user

It's weird the query is not part of wpv_filter_query, since it is a search run in the front end.

Thanks!

Thanks Minesh for the hint about looking in view_settings instead of wpv_filter_query.
Still I don't get it WHY it is like that but be it as it is.

The solution to run a View that has an initial distance to center set, and then lets you as well perform a search, looks as follows (considering a Post View but a USER field for the centring):

add_filter( 'wpv_view_settings', 'prefix_filter_distance_center_address', 10, 2 );
function prefix_filter_distance_center_address( $view_settings, $view_id ) {

/**
     * We apply this to view ID 123456 and 7891011 in this case.
     */
    if ( 123456 === (int) $view_id || 7891011 === (int) $view_id ) { 

// Get user meta address.
		$latlong = types_render_usermeta( 'user-geolocation', array( 'format' => 'FIELD_LATITUDE,FIELD_LONGITUDE', 'user_current' => true ) );

$lat = 0;
      	$lon = 0;

/**
                 * If the lat or long is empty, AND there is no search yet run
                 */
		if ( ! empty( $latlong ) 
			&& empty ( $_GET )
		) {

$latlon =  explode( ',', $latlong );

$lat = $latlon[0];
                    $lon = $latlon[1];

$view_settings['map_distance_filter']['map_center_lat'] = $lat;
                    $view_settings['map_distance_filter']['map_center_lng'] = $lon;
      	        }

}
        return $view_settings;
}

Hope the trick with $_GET helps anyone.

Cheers.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.