Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Filter Child post parametric post by 2 parents.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
In a parametric search is it possible to filter by more than one parent post type for child posts that have multiple parents?

Solution:
Not possible. When adding the search filter for post relationship any of the parent posts can be chosen, but only one.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Geoffrey Cleverley 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

In my 'book review' site, my Book Posts are Children of Author and Publisher Posts.

In a parametric search can I only filter by one parent?

Thanks

Jeff

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

That's correct.

When you add the search filter for post relationship you have to specify the relationship tree for the query, it can be one or the other but you cannot add both.

You can add other filters, so you could add a taxonomy as well as a post relationship filter, but then that would mean changing your setup to use publishers, for example, as a taxonomy rather than as a custom post type.

It doesn't add anything new, but for anyone else reading this thread the relevant documentation is here:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/

Hey Nigel,

Yeah, that's what I figured. I added a Custom Field, instead of a taxonomy, that duplicates the parent and a reminder in the backend to make sure the field is completed and duplicates the post's parent correctly.

I want to keep publishers and authors with their own posts, so figure a little duplication was the lesser of two evils to allow for the additional search capability.

Posts need to be checked by admin/editors prior to publishing, it just adds a little to the workflow.

All good, thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.