Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Export and Import Views & Data

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to know how to best export and import Toolset information across sites.

Solution: In general, you should use the built-in Toolset > Export / Import features for exporting and importing the following Toolset structures:
- Custom post types definitions
- Custom taxonomies definitions
- Custom field groups definitions
- Post relationship definitions
- Views
- Content Templates
- WordPress Archives
- Toolset Layouts
- Post Forms
- User Forms
- Relationship Forms
- WooCommerce Blocks settings
- Access settings

You should use the export tool built into WordPress (wp-admin > Tools > Export) to export your site content, for example:
- Posts, Pages, posts in Custom Post Types
-- The taxonomy terms associated with each post
-- The custom field values associated with each post
-- The post relationships associated with each post
- Media library items

Then use the import tool built into WordPress (wp-admin > Tools > Import) to import that site content, but only after you have imported the Toolset structures listed above.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pete 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi there,

Had a quick look in my Toolset dash to see if there is anything to import / export data from one site to another.

I see the Layouts Migration, is this what I would need.

Our site has legacy Views, custom post types...all kinds of data that uses Maps Types & Blocks.

Is Layouts Migration what we need ref this?

Thank you, Pete

Hello, the Layouts Migration plugin is an outdated, legacy plugin, and is not commonly used anymore. There are some specific cases where it may be useful if you have older Toolset Layouts and you're updating to a newer version of Toolset Layouts, but usually it's not required or helpful for migrating content like this. In general, you should use the built-in Toolset > Export / Import features for exporting and importing the following Toolset structures:
- Custom post types definitions
- Custom taxonomies definitions
- Custom field groups definitions
- Post relationship definitions
- Views
- Content Templates
- WordPress Archives
- Toolset Layouts
- Post Forms
- User Forms
- Relationship Forms
- WooCommerce Blocks settings
- Access settings
This export/import feature is best when you want to share all the structures from one site with another site. For a narrower export scope, you can use the Toolset Module Manager plugin to share groups of those items between sites in a modular format. For example, maybe you need to use a custom post type like "Books" in more than one site. You could use the Module Manager plugin to share information about the Books custom post type, its custom taxonomies and custom fields, its post relationships, its content template and wordpress archives, and Forms to create/edit those custom posts. The Module Manager plugin is available in the legacy plugins area here: https://toolset.com/account/downloads

You should use the export tool built into WordPress (wp-admin > Tools > Export) to export your site content, for example:
- Posts, Pages, posts in Custom Post Types
-- The taxonomy terms associated with each post
-- The custom field values associated with each post
-- The post relationships associated with each post
- Media library items

Then use the import tool built into WordPress (wp-admin > Tools > Import) to import that site content, but only after you have imported the Toolset structures listed above.

Let me know if you have questions about these features and how they work together or independently.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.