Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Edits to Layouts cause issue with Theme

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

OK, I can see the problem in your website, but it is a compatibility problem related with your theme "Astra Child",
You can switch to the original parent "Astra" theme, it works fine, can you confirm it?

If it is, you have only provided the database dump file, it is not enough to duplicate the problem:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edits-to-layouts-cause-issue-with-theme/#post-1098696

Please provide a copy of your website, I need to duplicate the same problem, and debug it in my localhost, thanks
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

astra.jpg

Hi Luo - I have sent the site on the private form. This Astra Child theme is the completely standard child theme from Astra, so there is no trickery going on here. And it took me all of 3 clicks to confirm that in fact the same issue is immediately apparent with Astra parent theme. Please see attached screen grab.

Surely you could have verified this yourself? At this point I'm a little frustrated... if you look back through my support history over the years you will see there are multiple support threads where I have raised issues and we have several backwards and forwards with support with them telling me there is no problem, until they eventually acknowledge there is an issue.

Astra is the first theme you list for full compatibility with Layouts. This is a bug - if you don't want to acknowledge it or fix it, then fine, but I would have thought it was in your interest as a company who produce an otherwise excellent product to make sure that when a customer reports a patently obvious bug you'd actually want it resolved?

thanks, Ian

Thanks for the details, I am downloading the files, will update here if there is anything found

Here are what I found:
- This problem occurs when activate the "Astra Child" theme, it does not occurs in parent "Astra" theme.
And it produce the misunderstanding, as my answer:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/edits-to-layouts-cause-issue-with-theme/#post-1100203
I have tested in your website by switching to "Astra" theme

- The problem seems to be existed in the specific layout "EVENT Single", it does not exists in other layouts, so you just need create another layout to replace the layout "EVENT Single".

I have done below modification in your website:
1) Duplicate the layout "EVENT Single" into new layout "Copy of EVENT Single":
hidden link
2) in section "This layout is used for these post types", click button "Change how this layout is used", assign it to the single "Events", save and test again, it works fine, the "Theme Options" are saved correctly.

You can find the old version of layout "EVENT Single" here:
hidden link

front-end-proof.jpg
back-end-proof.jpg

Hi Luo. You are wrong - I have tested right now in your new 'Copy of Event Single' in Astra parent theme and not child theme, and I instantly recreated exactly the same issue: hidden link

Believe me, I have run all these different variations of this test across multiple sites and installations. We have now two pages of you telling me there is no problem, and me instantly demonstrating the problem.

As I have said repeatedly in this thread I have this recurring problem across multiple sites, and it is a problem with Astra and Layouts.

Ian

Thanks for the details, I can find the problem, each time after I save the layout, I will click tab "Theme Options" to check the setting, in this case, I need to not clicking tab "Theme Options" and save the layout, then I can duplicate the same problem in my localhost.

Thanks for the patience, I have escalated it to our 2nd tier supporters, will update here if there is anything news.

At last! Thank you Luo! But next time is there a way that we don't have to take 8 DAYS of support telling me there is no problem? If you look back in my support history you will see there are multiple support threads where the same frustrating process has played out.

Is there no way you can mark long-term established users and take their feedback more seriously? After all, this is in the interest of a product that works properly and this has to be better for your company. This process has been extremely frustrating and doesn't reflect well on support!

You are absolutely right,this issue is very special, in order to duplicate it, we can not click the tab "Theme Options", after save the layout, then click the tab "Theme Options", I am sorry for that.

As requested, I will assign this ticket to our 2nd tier supporter.

Hi Ian

I was able to replicate this and as a workaround I found the same, if you do open the Accordion that holds the Theme options while saving the layout it'll keep the setting, but not if you keep the Accordion closed while saving.

I will pass that to the Layouts developer

I admit the issue got me as well, when Luo first escalated this of course I did not notice the specific and crucial point:
Do NOT open the accordion to make the issue happen.

Thank you for finding this bug.

This will be solved in the upcoming layouts release.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.