Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Edit pending or private post with Toolset forms

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi,

On this site, people can create a post via a Toolset post form. It then gets the status "pending". However, the author of the post (who has a custom role) should be able to edit that post while it's still pending.

Christian said in this topic https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cant-view-content-that-is-pending-review-even-if-user-authored-it/ that a pending post can't be edited or seen since it doesn't have an URL yet, so I tried a workaround by setting the default post state to private.

Then, I can see the post when I'm logged in as an author, BUT the edit post link I added to the template isn't displayed in that case. That's only visible when I publish the post.

So how can I let the author edit the post via a Toolset form when the post isn't published public yet?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for getting in touch.

What user roles are your users using ? Is it a custom user role ? For private posts the posts only visible to site admins and editors.

I've tested on my site that admins can indeed see the frontend edit link when they are logged in for private posts.

Please provide a bit more details.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

It's a custom role indeed. When I'm logged-in with that role, I can see the private post, but not the edit link. If you want, I can give you a login of course.

Best regards,

Marcel

Shane
Supporter

Hi Marcel,

Can you try the following before i request access.

Go to Toolset->Access Control -> Custom Roles and click "Change permissions"

Under the Other Capabilities ensure that Edit Private posts is clicked.

If that doesn't work please provide the access as well as a link to the page that you're testing it out and the user role with the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the credentials.

I'm not seeing here you've sent the details for the page I should be looking at as well as the custom user role with the issue.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I updated the credentials in my previous post with an e-mail address. That's a different user with the correct user role, which is "aspirant schipper". The password is the same.

Then click the search icon and search for "testboot". You'll see a private post called "testboot 2" which has this user as the author. There's no edit link though. If you go to the URL for the edit form directly, you CAN edit it though...

Shane
Supporter

Hi Marcel,

As we know the Admin and Editor roles are able to edit the posts even when they are set as private.

Could you remake the role and set it to copy the privileges from the Editor role.

Once you can confirm that it works when the role is copied then you can go though the permissions and remove the items that you dont need from the user role while still maintaining the ability to edit the posts from the frontend.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Copying permissions from editor role didn't work, but copying from admin role did. Therefor, I started to experiment with the capabilities for my original custom role. Seemed I only had to activate "edit_posts" under "other capabilities" to get it to work.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.