Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying top level taxonomy pages

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Create a view for this top level of any taxonomy.
Solution:
Soltuion here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/displaying-top-level-taxonomy-pages/#post-558604
Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 7 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 12:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 18:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author

Hey Noman,
We still haven't resolved this yet.

We have a custom post type called: training with a custom taxonomy of certified therapist training. The url structure for these are:

hidden link

The taxonomy for Certified Therapist Training is:
hidden link
level 1, level 2, level 3, etc...

Visually it looks like this (see the sidebar of the url above).
Certified Therapist Training (parent taxonomy)
> Level 1 (child taxonomy)
> Level 2 (child taxonomy)
> Level 3 (child taxonomy)
> Level 4 (child taxonomy)

We want to create a view for this top level of this taxonomy:
hidden link

So I followed your suggestion about making a page for this.
First I set up a standard wp page called training that has the correct url:
hidden link (but this url is reserved for our custom post type of that name)

Then I created a new standard WP page called certified therapist training and made it's parent the page above (training).

But when I visit this page it's showing up as 404 not found. This is obviously because these urls are reserved for our custom post type. Also we are rewriting the taxonomies to: training/certified-therapist-training because if we don't do this they just default to hidden link level-1 and we need the bit in the middle certified-therapist-training

What I am trying to do is create a view or a layout that displays when someone visits 3 of our top level training taxonomy pages:

hidden link
hidden link taxonomy rewrite for this is training/cpd-course
hidden link taxonomy rewrite for this is training/workshop

Apologies if I've not been able to explain this clearly enough in my previous support ticket.

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for opening the new ticket. The simple solution to this I think is to rename the pages slightly different that has Taxonomy View inside it. For example, Rename the page:

/workshop >> to >> /workshops

And then take the page link and add it to the Titles that you have in your site, such as main taxonomy heading text added in sidebar.

------------------------------------------------------

404 page not found is shown because there is no php template file for Main taxonomy pages in the theme. And also Toolset can’t be used to create a View or layout for this. Hence 2nd solution would be to add the php Archive Template page for this >> and in that we can list the terms (Level 1, Level 2, etc) using code or might be possible to execute the Taxonomy View in the php template file. I can help with it if you want to go in this direction, otherwise above 1st solution is easy to use.

Thank you

Hey Noman,

I've now created a standard WP page for our top level taxonomy pages:
hidden link

This is a Toolset layout and has two columns in the left hand column we have a single widget which is supposed to display the title, featured image and other fields of each certified therapist training. But you can see that none of this content is being output. What do I need to do to get the images and other fields to display? I've tried embedding a content template but that doesn't work either.

Thanks for your support!

Noman
Supporter

Ok I am going to check that too. Just to confirm Top level Taxonomy pages are created fine now with my last instructions? As I see the pages are created by content is not displaying which I will debug further.

For that I need to request temporary website WP-admin and FTP info for your site to debug further and to help in resolving this. Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add link to Layout edit screen and which Widget you are using.

Thank you

Noman
Supporter

I have done it using nested Views as explained in this doc (Section: Taxonomy View with a Post View for a Child): https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/

Test page: hidden link
You can add the same Parent View into your page, add more fields in the Post View as needed (post image, excerpt, readmore, etc).

Parent View: hidden link
Child View: hidden link

I hope this resolves the issue. Thank you

Hi five!

Brilliant job. Thanks so much for your help Noman.

Have a great day!

Noman
Supporter

Great to hear that issue is resolved now 🙂 We are happy to help you, have a great day too.

Thanks for the feedback.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.