Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying Repeatable Field Group Field in View with Blocks

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hello,

I have created a CPT for Events.

This has a repeatable field group containing Start Date and End Date (because the same event can occur on multiple days).

I would like to create a view using Blocks that displays the upcoming Events, I would like this view to show the Start Date (taken from the repeatable field group), and if the event has multiple start dates (e.g. 17 May, 23 June etc) then each occurrence would display in the view as a separate event.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to do this?

I've tried creating a view for the Events CPT but I don't see any option to add the start date from the Repeatable Field Group within the view loop.

Also - from my testing the datepicker doesn't seem to be accessible? You don't appear to be able to navigate to it or through it with keyboard tabbing etc. Can you confirm? And if so, are there any plans to improve this?

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Joel,

Thank you for getting in touch.

To display the repeatable field group I would recommend that you follow the instructions in the link below.
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/#displaying-repeatable-field-groups

I've tried creating a view for the Events CPT but I don't see any option to add the start date from the Repeatable Field Group within the view loop.

Are you saying that you're not seeing the custom fields when you create your view ? Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the site as well as a link to the page where I can see the view ?

Also - from my testing the datepicker doesn't seem to be accessible? You don't appear to be able to navigate to it or through it with keyboard tabbing etc. Can you confirm? And if so, are there any plans to improve this?

I suspect that this is tabbing through in the Repeatable field groups correct?

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane. It's just on a development site at the moment, I can replicate on a sandbox site if that helps? (I was sent a link in a previous support ticket to replicate on a sandbox site).

I did look at that link bit it appears to be related to displaying the Repeatable Field Group in a Content Template. I would like to display the fields from the repeatable field group in a View for the parent CPT (Events).

With regards the accessibility issue, what I mean is that if you add the Datepicker as a search filter for a view you can't access it by keyboard navigation which is really poor from an accessibility perspective. Are there any plans to improve this?

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Hi Joel,

Yes please provide me with the access so that I can have a look.

I've enabled the private fields for your next response.

With regards the accessibility issue, what I mean is that if you add the Datepicker as a search filter for a view you can't access it by keyboard navigation which is really poor from an accessibility perspective. Are there any plans to improve this?

I'm able to see this, however I highly doubt that this will be modified in a future update because of how the datepicker is built and meant to work.

The main reason why its not selectable is because a datepicker is normally accompanied by an input field for the date. However in our case we don't have this input field, instead we use an icon to trigger the date picking.

Thanks,
Shane

Ah sorry Shane, the sandbox link doesn't work anymore, are you able to send me a new one? Jamal sent me one in a previous ticket, something like hidden link - this was really helpful to get to the bottom of an issue.

Accessibility is a legal requirement now for many sites so I would definitely recommend looking into this. Here are some examples which I think are based on the same jQuery UI Datepicker - hidden link / hidden link

And here's another example which doesn't have any dependencies and looks great - hidden link

Can you please pass on this request for this to be looked into it?

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Hi Joel,

Here is a link to the sandbox site.
hidden link

Please let me know once you've set it up and let me know exactly where to look.

Secondly I can pass on your request but we already have a long list of request and improvements so if this was to get added then it won't be anytime soon.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane. I would appreciate it if you could pass it on as accessibility should really be a top priority, but lets deal with one thing at time...

I've outlined what I'm trying to do on the homepage of the sandbox site, hope it makes sense!

Many thanks

Shane
Supporter

Hi Joel,

Thank you for setting up the example for me.

However the dates on the left, you wont be able to achieve this mainly because there isn't a repeatable sequence that we can lock onto.

Lets say we use the starting date, it will always display the starting date of the event to the left. Likewise if we use the end dates we will run into the same issue. There isn't any repeatable pattern that can be easily identified.

Thanks,
Shane

Ok thanks, not sure I understand but I'll have another play with it and see what I can come up with.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Joel,

Great, should you have any further queries on this one, please let me know.

Otherwise you can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved when you're ready.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.