Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Displaying related posts using views

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Author

This seems to be pretty straightforward but I've been struggling with this all day so I thought I'd ask for help.

I've got an events page on which I'd like to feature the name, company, job title, and bio of the moderator and the same for the speakers.

Originally, I had simply created custom post types for each role - so a Moderator CPT and a Speaker CPT.

But then I realized that there are some people who have played both roles and I don't want to have to maintain two separate "profiles" for the same person.

So I figured I'd create a Participant CPT and create a Many to Many relationships between the Participant CPT and the Event CPT with a custom field for a role and then I would be able to display each on and events page with a Moderator view and a Speaker view.

But for some reason, I can't figure this out.

The basic idea here is that people should be able to play different roles at different events, and I'd like to display people with events for the role they played at each event.

I'd also like to display on a person's profile each event he or she participated in and the role he or she played - e.g.,

John Smith - VP, ABC Corporation

Moderator at Event Name A
Spoke at Event Name B
Spoke at Event Name C

I've review Toolset user guides, tutorials, and reference sites and can't find the right answer.

I'm sure that I am overlooking something obvious, but I just can't figure out what it is.

Or maybe the "something obvious" is that I have to create CPTs for each role, but I am hoping to avoid that, for the reason previously stated.

Any direction/help would be much appreciated.

I spent a little more time today working on this and found the solution: intermediary post relationships.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.