Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Different shop page based on product category

The Toolset Community Forum is closed, for technical support questions, please head on to our Toolset Professional Support (for paid clients), with any pre-sale or admin question please contact us here.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to create and use different page designs for different product category archives

Solution: Use different filtered product category taxonomy Views for each product category, use custom pages for each View, and use custom Content Templates for each product

Relevant Documentation: N/A

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.
This is the community support forum for Types plugin, which is part of Toolset. Toolset is a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients and people who registered for Types community support can post in it.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by arisF 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hello. This issue is about Woocommerce mainly.

I have two main categories for all my products (flowers and vegetables). I have also created custom taxonomies with Types. However, the two main categories will have to use different sets of custom taxonomies.

I have two questions.

1. In WC Views, I have set the product archive template file to be the one provided by WC Views. Is it possible to have two different product archives (each one accessible eg via a menu item) for the two main categories?

2. Similarly, how would I proceed to create two different content templates for each main category of the products? In case this is not possible, can I display the custom taxonomies' links conditionally based on the main category of the product?

Thank you

Hi there, I'll be happy to answer your questions.

1. Yes, separate URLs like hidden link and hidden link will automatically be generated for you when you set up your product categories. Then you can create separate links in your menus and link to flowers or vegetables independently.

2. Which content template are you referring to - the template for the category archive page, or the template for a single product in the category?

Thank you for your fast reply. Sorry but I think I have not made myself quite clear. Let me clarify:

1. I am aware of that. I am talking about the case one wants to create custom shop pages (using Toolset). To put it more simply: Is there a way to create a SIMILAR page to the shop page provided by WC using Toolset, and then customize it further?

2. As I explained in (1), I am referring to both of them. At the moment I have created custom template only for single product, I don't know how to proceed for the shop overview page.

Yes, for a basic Shop page implementation with a paginated list or grid of products, you could recreate a Shop page using a View that shows Products, filtered by your "Flowers" category. Then you could modify the Loop Output to customize each listed product however you like. You could then place your View in a Page designed any way you would like for your Flowers category. That Page could live at a specific URL like /my-flower-shop. Then you could do the same for Vegetables. The two pages could be designed independently, and the two product lists could be designed independently as well. A unique Content Template can be applied to any product.

More advanced features may require custom code. For example, some themes include advanced sorting options on the Shop page (sort by price, sort by rating, sort by popularity, etc.), which may not be achievable in Views without some custom code. Others may create a unique display like a custom interactive slider, which again would require custom code. So it all depends on what you would like to accomplish on your Flowers shop page.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance clarifying how this would work.

I understand. Will try it and let you know of any issues. Thank you for your help.

The forum ‘Types Community Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.